1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2005 Ram 1500 4x4 problems

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by dss56, Feb 1, 2015.

1. dss56

dss56 Senior Member

Daughters boyfriend screwed up the 4x4.

When i drive not in 4x4 the truck its like binding up going forward but not reverse.

When i put the truck in 4x4 and drive the truck the binding goes away seems the truck drives no binding.
    So now its in 4x4 and i got stuck in front of my house and when i was racing the truck to get out i could hear some grinding in the front of truck.

When I put it in 4x4 I get no grinding or noise seems to go into gear no problem.

So im sure the noise is from the front and not the 4x4 case.

Could this be the front axle hub or what might be the problem if the 4x4 transfer case is not making any noises?
  2. ronJr

ronJr Junior Member

Either a axel shaft or possibly broke a gear in the front rear. I had a similar issue on my 05 ram while using 4x4 I replaced a shaft and rebuilt the front rear
  3. dstifel

dstifel Senior Member
    from Iowa

Axel shaft from my experience
  4. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

tell the daughter to get rid of the boyfriend, you can't afford him
  5. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Axle shaft for starters. Better get the differential assembly checked as well. Sounds like something in the housing might have let go
  6. dss56

dss56 Senior Member

Well I solved the 4x4 problem.
    I sold the truck person who bought it will drive it the way it is until he gets it fixed.

From my search on the forums looks like a common problem with the cv shafts pulling out from the stub shafts on the front differential. When it was on the lift you could see the axles pulled out. Most likely the retainer clips let go.
    Im sure if he gets 2 new clips and put on the cv axle end to the differential it might all work.

I just wanted to get rid of the truck and not put any money into it.

I did locate a complete front differential with both axles for $250.00 then $500 labor at Pepboys to remove and install the used differential. So I think If i put the $800.00 into it I would of got it back on the price of the truck.

So I think It all evened out.