1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by pilot29, Dec 5, 2010.

1. pilot29

pilot29 Junior Member

I have been asked by the boss if I would start plowing his very small community this winter. Apparently, they think they pay too much having it done by the current sub., and I guess since I'm salary he wants to take advantage of me more in the winter.....

Here what I've got: 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4X4. 5.7L V8 Hemi. Lots of get up and go....

Having pushed many seasons for a friend's company when I was younger w/a Ford F350 with a 10 ft Boss Plow, my first response was heck no my Jeeps not big enough to mount a plow....but now that I have done some research it seems maybe there is a chance.

The catch is he will pay for the plow+anything extra that needs to be done to the jeep (lifted I imagine? bigger tires?) So I've basically been given a blank check to go find a plow I want....:) My Jeep is 100% paid for, so for anyone with the response of "get a bigger truck" thats not what I'm looking for, I don't want to take on a new car payment.

What I need is recommendation on what kind of plow to get, seems the down pressure from snoway is the only way to go with smaller truck....

I have attached a satellite picture of the area that needs to be plowed, about equal to 3 or 4 200 ft driveways.

The far west (left side) road is a county road and is not part of what needs to be plowed...

Thanks!

community.jpg

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You need a 2006 Grand Cherokee, no one makes a plow for the 2005.

3. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

A lift and bigger tires wont help you plowing. You need a truck.

4. MidcoastMainiac

MidcoastMainiac Member

Have your boss go out and buy a truck for the "community" and if you are under salary, then you plow for him. No since beating up your truck for no additional bennies.

Sounds like a bad deal to me.

5. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

are you plowing all of the roads (except the county)? Yes you can with the jeep, but why wear out YOUR Jeep for no extra $ have him buy a used truck. then when it breaks down and he cant plow his community he will see why he pays so much for plowing

PS I'm sure he drives an SUV have him put the plow on his truck and you plow with his.

6. pilot29

pilot29 Junior Member

I didn't really clairfy....the Jeep is a 2006 (mistype) and it is paid for but technically owned by the company, but given to me as a bonus....So i never paid for the Jeep.

7. pilot29

pilot29 Junior Member

Thanks, but that's the exact response I asked not to get. I'm interested in people who plow with a similiar SUV, and their personal opinion on what kind of plow they would recommend. But good job reading.....

Going out and getting a used truck at $15,000 + doesn't make sense, I don't have extra room on where to just have an "old pickup" sitting around all year.

8. pilot29

pilot29 Junior Member

Sure, but I don't think plowing with a BMW X5 would be a good idea......

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Snoway's 22 series is available for the 06-10 Grand Cherokke.

10. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Bigger tires and a lift are not what you want. they will hinder the ability to plow snow.

You do NOT need a truck to plow snow. however getting a cheep used truck is better than using your car for no extra pay.

11. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Fine put a sno way on your Jeep and plow the whole thing. Im sure nothing will break and you will be better off. I was wrong to think that you need a truck. Have fun.

12. pilot29

pilot29 Junior Member

Well if it does, the company pays for it.....so one person has answered my original question. On what plow they would recommend . ....

13. MidcoastMainiac

MidcoastMainiac Member

If it is a company car, then go ahead and put a plow on it. You do not need bigger tires and lifts. What you want is skinny tires. like a 235's or even 225's (I am running 235-85-16 on my Chevy pickup). Does not matter what truck or in this case jeep, the skinny tires plow alot better than fat mudders.

As far as a plow, I would put on the widest plow a dealer recomends. I know Fisher, Meyers, and Boss all have a place on their web sites to plug in your truck and it will tell you what plow to use. V-plow if there is one being built for your truck would be prime time, but a nice straight blade and plow with the storm isn't bad either.

Good luck

14. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

i already see you posting now, my front end is making a weird noise and vibrate really bad... i would take some others peoples advise, buy a beater truck with plow its going to be the best thing possible or a bobcat with pusher. sorry if im not help but there as been other people on the fourm that tried the same thing and ended up selling there new plow and getting a beater.

15. NickDe03

NickDe03 Junior Member

i think its a great opportunity. Get the plow for your suv and plow his community, when your done go plow and make some money. i think your winning all around. you'll be fine if you find the appropriate plow. sure you wont be able to make big pushes like a 1 ton truck but you'll be ok. Anyone giving you a hard time is just jealous they don't have this awesome opportunity for a free plow. do it!

16. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Only Snoway is making a blade for your Jeep.

17. RCsLawncare

RCsLawncare Senior Member

Anyone know the deal as to why nobody makes them for the 05?

18. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

western makes a plow for it as well go to any snowplow web site and do a quick match for your vehicle it will tell you what you can put on it

19. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Hey genious, that was some of the best advice you are going to get. Only an idiot would think it would be a good idea to go out and get a lift and tires for plowing. :dizzy:
    I don't think you should do it at all, as if your driving skills are as bad as your thinking skills, you'll be smashing into everything around and doing all sorts of damage. Good luck, you're going to need it!

20. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

That should tell you all you need to know.......