1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2005 GMC 3500 heater position control switch?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Mick76, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Alright just picked up a 2005 3500 and the typical fan switch has been done before I bought it. My problem is the positions switch (def, panel, feet) Its stuck in the defrost position and wont go to any of the other positions... before I start tearing everything apart, anything I should look for? the switch itself? is there a relay? anything that might be bound up in the defussier box? any insite would be great! TIA

2. Tom1

Tom1 Junior Member

One of the actuators in the dash has failed. When this happens they automatically go to defrost position for safety reasons. I have not done this repair myself.

3. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Thanks Tom, by chance do you know how to get too the actuators?

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

it should be drivers side, kinda right above the gas pedal. about a 4"x4" black box with a few arms attached to it. before you suspect acuator, try and move the arms, then move the selector switch while looking at the arms. had this happen to a few of our obs gms, turned out the rods in the doors rusted out and was not working the doors.

5. Tom1

Tom1 Junior Member

Sorry, that is all the help I can offer I had mine repaired at dealership few years back.

6. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Thanks guys... I found the box and will play around with it

7. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Good luck.