1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2005 GMC 2500HD Ultra Mount no drivers side headlight

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by highlander316, Dec 20, 2012.

1. highlander316

highlander316 Senior Member

Ok, I installed a used 8.5' Ultra mount straight blade on my 2005 GMC. The wiring is a 4-port. When I installed it, I had to reverse the light wires (short and long wire set) due to where I put the Iso-box. I switched the two wires when I plugged them into the Iso-box since I switched which lights I plugged them into. Now, all of my lights work (turns, 4 ways, hi-beams) except the drivers side light (hi-beam works thou). This is on both truck and plow.

I have a feeling that this most likely has to do with how I wired the truck. Can I change the pins inside the plugs? If so, which pins. If there is another solution, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

2. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

Bulb
    There is no way to change just the pins western sells a repair harnesses cut and splice kit

3. Karma1

Karma1 Junior Member

This just happened to me and it drove me nuts, I could switch module positions and the drivers side would work and the passenger not. What "we" found was I had the plugs crossed on the drivers side headlights, colors are very close easy to do. Try that, because I had exactly what you described, but I'm good to go now.

4. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

What year truck did the headlight wiring come off from?

5. highlander316

highlander316 Senior Member

bulbs are good.

I'll double check the plugs again.

Not sure what year the wiring came from, I bought it from a dealer that sells lots of used plows.

6. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 Senior Member

Fuse under hood drivers side fuse pannel. Seperate fuse for left and right side. Or as other poster said, plug reversed. GM switched power and common around 2004 on these trucks.

7. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Sounds to me like a GM with four headlight bulbs on the truck right? You have one of your truck side original headlight plugs flipped over 180 degrees out. You will see that the female plug on the Western harness will allow you to plug the original vehicle plug in two ways. When you do the install you have to look for the commons and line them up. Looks like you got three out of four with shear luck but missed out on the one that is dead. Can be a bugger to get at those plugs especially if you have a battery on the driver's side right behind the headlamp. Sorry about that, it's really tuff to get at that one.