1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2005 Ford F250

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Fatality, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Fatality

Fatality Senior Member

We are looking to purchase a 2005 Ford F250 5.4L with 45k miles. They have any known issues or anything to look out for before we purchase? Will probably have a mechanic shop look it over but just wanted to get some opinions. Thanks

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

exhaust manifold and ball joints

3. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

The spark plugs can be a bear to change, but some newer techniques and tools make it easier. Not something you want to try yourself though. The fuel injectors were also problematic, but Ford extended the warranty on them to 100,000 miles. Some folks would say you'll find the 5.4 in a SD to be a little weak too.

4. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Plugs take about 2 hrs with basic tools.Man if u think these are tough what do u do when u get one thats actually hard to do?

5. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Not on the mod motors. They are known for spitting plugs if not properly torqued or having plugs seized into the heads.

6. Too Stroked

Actually, the very early (2 valve) modular motors were known for spitting plugs out - and they weren't hard to change. The later 2 valve motors fixed this problem.

When they went to the 3 valve 5.4 in 2004, they completely redesigned the heads and the plugs - and the darn things pretty well welded themselves in (with carbon buildup) and were a real bear to get out. Two special tools (Lisle & Rotunda) were developed to get broken plugs out of the heads without having to pull the heads themselves. By late 2007 a re-design of the heads had solved this problem.

And in answer to your question, I've never found a bigger PITA plug to change than these.

7. Fatality

Fatality Senior Member

would it help to change the plugs more frequently to avoid the carbon build up?

8. quisman

quisman Member
    from Vermont

That was my question as well !!
    My 06 only has 20k miles so it's sat a lot and was garaged, but that still makes me wonder.

What are you planning to use the truck for if you acquire it?
    Commercial?

9. Too Stroked

Ford has a TSB out on the older trucks with this issue and it recommends using a special Nickel Anti-Sieze compound on the extended shaft - but not the threads - of the plugs to prevent carbon buildup. From what I hear from my friends who work on them, using this stuff and changing them more often does help. The real fix was a re-designed head and plug that I believe came out in late 2007.