1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2005 F550 Diesel

Discussion in 'Used Plowing and Truck Equipment Forum' started by got-h2o, Jun 10, 2013.

1. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

CONSIDERING selling this truck. I'm throwing it out there for a short bit. I want to keep it, but need a spot for it before I make my final decision. If I can make a couple bucks for the time being I will let it go. I buy and sell for a living so please don't flame me for trying to make money. I assume no one here goes in to work for free.

Nevertheless.......it's a 2005 cab chassis F550 with a 6.0 diesel. Fleet maintained with 150k miles. Has a Chelsea trans mounted PTO. Remote spin on trans filter as well. Like new 19.5's load range F.

I just put brand new $150ea NAPA batteries in it as I do with every truck I buy with plans to keep. Windshield is cracked and I will be putting a new on in it this week. Drivers side of the seat is torn like they all are.

Truck is 2wd with a 19,000 GVWR.

Body of the truck is EXCEPTIONALLY clean. Door lips are pretty much spotless. Clean frame, all lines etc are clean. It's a nice truck. Runs and drives excellent. Ice cold AC.

It takes $10k for me to part with it.

I have a steel framed flatbed I will be willing to negotiate in for a lil more.

I own 5 6.0's and love them.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  2. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

3. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Good luck. I had a 2003 F550 6.0 I got rid of last fall. Only had 70k on it, was 4wd, came with a 9ft plow and had a rust free cab and dump body on it and couldn't get any action on it at $16k. Ended up taking a beating on a trade to dump it and the dealer still has it.

4. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

The 2003 and 2004 were junk in 2005 and the 6.0 are great I'm in same boat I have 5 of them and no problems at all all if mine are 06-08

5. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Thanks guys. I have no problem keeping it, and I could flip it at the sale worse case and still do good on it. I'm not stuck with it regardless.

As for 6.0s.......one of my 04s has 244k, the other 145k, one of my 05s 296k and the other 223k. A 6.0 is my favorite diesel to work. My highest miled 05 has 15-20k+ behind it daily.

.........and I'm a GM guy lol

6. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Ok sorry about the 04

7. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm glad it's not 4x4 for the sake of my wallet.

8. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Almost worth making it a salt truck never need 4 wheel drive

9. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'd use it on my gooseneck as well and I need 4x4 to pull that off road sometimes.

10. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

How long is the frame?

11. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

LOL Mark!

Agreed on 4x4. I really wanted one but they are few and far between around here. When you find them, they're either V10's, manual trans's or close to $20k.

If I wind up keeping it, it'll get a big spreader, probably mounted right to the frame, possibly hyd thanks to the PTO on the trans. It'll also get a Blizzard mount and a power plow that'll see occasional use unless I get a large lot. It'll be nice to send out on a salt run to cover the majority of my accounts in one shot. I wouldn't expect it to perform like a 4wd in harsh conditions, but during an average event on a flat lot it'll do just fine. My other trucks rarely see 4wd anyhow, they never do if loaded with salt......but it's obviously nice to have. I actually have a leaf sprung front diff that I planned to use on a 2wd 4 or 550 if I ever found one. Turns out I bought one with coils lol. Turning radious is great though.

I'll get the frame measured up shortly. I'd assume 84" CA and 10' cab to frame ends.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  12. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Its actually 84" cab to axle and 11'4" to the end of the frame

13. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I'm going to look at a dump bed for it in the next couple of days. As time ticks by, I'll either pick away at setting it up and decide to keep it, or the price will gradually go up.

As it sits I'll consider a trade on a nice skidsteer or a front loader of some sort.

14. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Bump this up for old time's sake. Still have it, still a cab/chassis. I put tail light housings on it and have been driving it quite a bit. I love it honestly. Still unsure if I'll NEED it so I will still let it go for now. Much longer and I'm going to get a plow mount and spreader on it. Then she'll be here to stay.

15. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Oooooooo baby she's lookin sweet! Getting her dialed in for the season. Next weeks plans are a 5yd hyd spreader install. Closer it gets to snow, less of a chance of selling, but will still sell it as of now. I LOVE this thing though so it'll take some $ to pry it away at this point. More just showing it off now. Lol.

ResizedImage951379634994968.jpg

ResizedImage951379634994227.jpg

16. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

She is looking sweet!

17. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Thanks pal!

18. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

10K ?

You could keep the flatbed. I'd need a dump for it.

Only real drawback for me would be the color. I'd need to get rid of that god-awful yellow.

Otherwise, I'm interested to some degree.

19. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I was anti yellow myself. But the truck is so spotless clean I didn't have it in me to give it a repaint.

20. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I'd probably do that though, just to roll the $ into another pickup.

I just put strobes in it as well. Those will stay too.