1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2005 F350 Not rated for Western Wideout??

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by stackmaster, Oct 31, 2009.

1. stackmaster

stackmaster Senior Member

We wanted to possibly put the Wideout or 8.6 MPV on an F350 with the 4800GVW front end. Dealer says NO. Not only that, as it turns out, the heaviest Western V we can mount is the 7.6 poly. I've seen lots of pics on this site of guys with wideouts on 250s or 2500s. Same with the 8.6 and 9.6 V's. What the Hell????????

2. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

You can hang just about anything you want on an 05 F350, just swap in upgraded coils or airbags. Coils are $30 each from the Ford dealer, air bags are $77. Your dealers on crack, I've been running an 8511lp (1100lbs, much heavier than a wideout or MVP) on my 05 for 4 years, never an issue.

3. stackmaster

Gonna ask my dealer if there is anything I can do with regards to coils or airbags that would enable them to intall a Wideout or 8.6 Mvp. Which front end do have in your truck Wizard??

4. JaimeG

JaimeG Senior Member

Just get some heavier coils.

5. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

Got an 8 6 on a 05 350 too. There's no reason you cant. Buy the plow and install it yourself.- Not too hard on the newer trucks.

6. Landscapes8988

Landscapes8988 Senior Member

the truck will handle it. its just the liability issue of the dealer and then something happens. Mine told me i couldn't put one on so i just went to the next dealer and no problem.

7. stackmaster

Unfortunately, I don't think there is another dealer near me. I guess I may have to install myself or get a different truck.:cry:

8. Landscapes8988

Landscapes8988 Senior Member

just install yourself then. should be cheaper anyways! I've had superdutys a long time and never ever had any problems!

9. stackmaster

I dont really mind installing myself but would be nice to have dealer backing. Also, is it possible that most other F350s have a heavier front end?? Mine is 4800 GVW

10. axl

axl Senior Member

I have an 06 F250 and put an 8'6" MVP PLUS POLY on my truck. Added a set of TIMS and she handles it fine

11. wizardsr

They're all the same front axle unless you have 4.30 gears, then you get the super 60. The only difference between the trucks is the spring ratings. Plow prep package is heavier springs with the same axle. My truck had 4800lb coils when I bought it, I upgraded them to 6000lb coils and added air bags for good measure because I was putting such a heavy plow on it. The truck handles it fine, even without ballast, but it plows like a tank with 4k in the bed. wesport

12. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

I'd like to know who your Ford dealer is. $30.00 per coil is way, way below true wholesale pricing.

13. JaimeG

JaimeG Senior Member

Yeah, ours has 5200 FGAWR, still pretty low. I think it gets up to 6000 FGAWR. The 6500 and 7000 springs are for the F-450's, but some guys put them in F-350's. The heavier the springs, the rougher the ride.

14. stackmaster

I believe they come standard with 4800, 5200, and 5600. not sure about after market stuff but if the springs are the only difference then maybe I can just get heavier springs and have the plow installed by the dealer.:confused:
    I dont mind if the front end is stiff. It will be pretty much a dedicated truck. Plow on the front, spreader in the back.

15. jamartz

jamartz Member

I ran into this Friday with my Excursion, They come with 4300lb front springs, and I have installed ford X-code springs which are the plow package springs rated at 6000lb. and my Boss dealer still wouldn't install because of liability due to VIN and door sticker still showing 4300lb. So looks like I get to do it myself!

16. stackmaster

Hmmm......thats interesting. Might just be what I'm going to run into. How big a job is it to swap out those springs??

17. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

You're mixing apples and oranges here. X coded springs are for leaf springs in the front and they are only rated for 5200#. What stackmaster is looking for is coil springs for his '05 which happens to be the first year Ford switched from leaf to coil in the front end. He needs code "C" 6000#, "B" 6500#, or "A" 7000# coil springs if he'd like to step up the weight carrying ability on his truck.

Just my .02¢

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  18. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

It would take 90 minutes to 2 hours if you've never done it before. From the time I rolled out the compressor hose until the time the tools were put away, and I washed up my hands, the whole job took me just under 90 minutes. It's an easy swap, but you could always run over to your local spring/suspension shop and have them do the swap for ya.

19. stackmaster

Beauty, that sounds like the way to go. Thanks for the advise ZamboniHDB

20. wizardsr

That was at our cost (wholesale account) from Superior Ford in Plymouth. It's been 4 years though, they may have gone up a little, but shouldn't have by too much.

As for the time to swap them, not long... As far as I can remember, there was just a shock bolt and a retainer clip holding the spring in, definitely easier with 2 guys, one to pry down on the axle while the other pulls the old one out and puts the new one in.