1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2005 F250 6.0

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by WildRidge, Mar 10, 2007.

1. WildRidge

WildRidge Member

Came across a nice used truck, 2005 F250 38,000 miles pretty clean. My knowledge about fords is very limited because I am more of the GM type. But this deal is kind of hard to pass. I know there was some trouble with the 6.0 when it came out in 03-04 but didn't know if those problems carried over to 05. I've drove a 03 7.3 a few times and really like the power, but didn't care for how loud it was on the inside. This was the first time I drove the 6.0 and was shocked at how well it handled and how quite it was on the inside. The only problem I saw was when I crawled underneath the truck I saw some oil collecting on the oil pan. It looks as if there is a leak some where, and it’s running down the valley of the engine. Not being to familiar with the layout out I wasn't sure where to look to see if it would be an easy fix. Any input?

2. Snow-Kid

Snow-Kid Senior Member
    from nw ohio

I have a 06 f350 6.0 diesel and I like it. I did have some problems with the engine but my ford dealer took care of it and it was all under warranty. As far as the oil leak if it is coming form the back of the engine it is probably the rear seal. Mine did this and the dealer took care of it. If it for sale by a ford dealer i would point it out before you buy and have them fix it before you buy it.

3. FSUPERDUTY

FSUPERDUTY Senior Member

I would say 03 would be the worst.04 to 07 you never know.Like you i was a GM guy my whole life but fell in love with the superdutys.They still are my favorite.I had a 04 my self and had pretty good luck with it couple of reflashes and an egr valve replacement in 55k.My friends kid has a 05, egr has been replaced twice,head gaskets once,trans has been out for that pin deal,and now he is having problems with the variable turbo vanes.So you just never know.Get the vin and have ford run a oasis in the service department.That will give you a history of repairs.If the dealer won't do it find one that will or alot of times if you go to the dieselstop.com(ford diesel site) somebody over there will do it for you.If you get a good 6.0 they are a lot of fun but if you don't? Overall I prefered my 6.0 over the 7.3 for the same reasons as you.Good luck!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2007