1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2005 f-250 5.4

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by mrsops, Jan 14, 2010.

1. mrsops

mrsops Senior Member

Hey guys when should i changed the fuel filter with every oil change? Im going to be changing the oil tommorow and i would like to tackle the fuel filter how the hell do i do it lol..

Also have a 2008 f-350 5.4 as well would like to do the same

2. bacwudzme

bacwudzme Senior Member

They are kind of tricky. Is it the first time being changed on the 05? You need a special tool. Like $7.00 at the local autoparts store.
    I find leaving the gas cap open and chew on some bubble gum use the tool and pop off the filter to motor line you might have to work it a little if its never been changed. when you undo it put the gum in the filter to reduce gas going down your arm.now work the tank to filter line for some reason i struggle with that one, same as my F-150? And you have to fight it out of the holder then put the new filter in plugging in the tank line first. I change my filter every 10,000 miles. Then when you fire up your truck to make sure that its not leaking take the gum out and blow in the outlet and your probably going to sh1t a chicken with how plugged it was. You might get messy your first time but good luck.

3. mrsops

mrsops Senior Member

Now i know why i sent it in last time for the fuel filter change lol. Last time i had the fuel filter changed was at 45,000 miles i now have 51,000 so forget it lol ill just hold off till the next oil change lol.. Thanks for the advice

4. bacwudzme

bacwudzme Senior Member

Its not that bad, but if things arnt going well and you end up fighting it it plain sucks! especially if your laying on your back and the gas slowly makes it to your arm pit! My 350s bracket and lines are a little bit tougher then my 150 was.

5. sven_502

sven_502 Senior Member
    from ontario

I dont know about fords, but my truck you need to pull the fuel pump fuse and run the engine dry because of residual fuel pressure, be aware of that.

6. mrsops

mrsops Senior Member

Hey bacwudzme. When do you have to change the tranny fluid and antifrezze on this truck?

7. bacwudzme

bacwudzme Senior Member

Well me on the Tranny I do it once a year regardless of miles If its a torqshift make sure who ever does it uses Mercron SP. Reguardless of what people tell you have them change the toilet paper element on the frame rail by the tranny cooler and FLUSH it. most dealers will say change the paper element and top off the fluid till it hits 100,000miles I called 5-6 dealers till one said they do the flush and the element. I had to go 1.5hrs to NH to have it done. The pan filter i guess is a metal element. The dealership said once i hit 60000 they will replace it.(im at 45000mi)
    Well I did my antifreeze at 36,000 (I usally go 50k on antifreeze) mainly cause the truck was 4 years old. And once its drained i put a new tstat in It never hurts.
    I have already converted my diffs to Amsoil And my transfercase to Amsoil. and ill change those in 2years depending on how much water I cross in the spring to get to the good flyfishing spots.