1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2005 Dodge w/CTD

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by jonw440, Jul 12, 2005.

1. jonw440

jonw440 Senior Member

I looked on the website and it showed my truck can only have a 7 1/2 blade on it. Is this because of the deisel weight?
    I was hoping for a 8'... How about if I add timbrans?

2. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Do you have the prep package on it??

3. jonw440

jonw440 Senior Member

Yes I have the snow plow prep. I just called the dealer. 8' super duty 3830 installed(plus 5%sales tax.')

4. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

i hung a 8 foot pro plow on my CTD, I think you can even hang a v plow on it if that's what you want. The reason why the dealers are saying that you can only put a 7.5' plow on is cuz they figure the weight on the front axle with every seat filled and its gonna be more weight if its a quad cab cuz of the people.

5. cumminswithplow

cumminswithplow Senior Member

I have a ctd with quad cab and western mvp. It worked great last year. I installed the timbrens. And I added an extra set of springs in the rear. I run 1100 lbs of ballast at the way back of my bed. I didnt have any problems at all. I love the ctd and I just found a way to work around the manf suggestions.

6. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

No, actually it's because of the front axle weight capacity and the amount of weight the CTD add's to the axle over a gasser reguardless of passangers. For plowing they always assume driver only.
    I would not strech it to say yes to a V blade, but an 8 footer is possible with ballast (which is necessary to ofset the weight) and Timbrens are a good idea. My 96 CTD has had a plow since before I bought her, 6 years ago this month. Front end wears out faster (much faster)

7. Stark_Enterprises

Stark_Enterprises Senior Member

My 02 CTD Quad Cab is SWeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. With my 8.5 Fisher Ve plow!

8. sam973

sam973 Member

Most plow dealers, and even dodge on their website, figure the max suggested plow weight by taking the trucks empty weighted plus driver and a passenger. If I remember correctly I believe they figure each person to be 175 pounds, So that is 350 pounds of people they are assuming. That being said, the truck should have no trouble holding a 8 footer, or even larger. Just use proper ballast. The 2003-2005 trucks have a 5200 pound weight rating which is up 400 pounds from the 1993-2002 trucks.

9. BreyerConstruct

BreyerConstruct Senior Member

But,

The new (03+) trucks weigh more too.
    Weigh the options.
    & Be as safe as you can. :) Don't forget the brakes when you're looking @ overloading a truck...

~Matt