1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2005 Cummins Plow truck?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by chazmanian, Feb 8, 2008.

1. chazmanian

chazmanian Member

Bought this truck and plan on using it for my parking lot striping company but would like to put a plow and sander on it as well....30K one owner miles. Nice truck and I'll feel a little bad beating it up but I did buy it as a working truck.

How are these Cummins as far as plow trucks? I know the weak link is 48RE trans and I'm considering swapping the stocker for an ATS as I live about 30 minutes from the ATS shop in Wheatridge Colorado.
    Its got the 3.73 axles and as far as any of the other options I'm not sure?
  2. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I have the same truck, and have been plowing with it for 2 years with no problems...... The majority of the trans problems were in a little older trucks..........I add a tru trac limited slip diff, and plow most of the time in 2wd......
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2008
  3. gardenkeeper88

gardenkeeper88 Senior Member

I Have a 03 w/ the cummins put a 7'6" western Pro Plus plow w/ wings, and a buyers tailgate spreader on the back. LOVE IT! Takes a liitle bit warm up to get the heat going but, so what. I bought in summer of 04 and plowed every winter since. No tranny problems yet. I now have 89000 + miles on it. I have had some brake problems this year. My service man said that dodge and ford have the weaker brakes vs GM. Over all great truck hard worker. in the summer it pulls a dump trailer 4-5 days a week for my landscape biz. My GMC i've put 2 trannys in since 2000, but i'm not the one driving it so I know i have to contribute that to my drivers somewhat too.
  4. TL697

TL697 Senior Member

I have an '05 2500, and it works great...

You don't have to beat it up just because you work with it... I bought mine new, and have been using it for my construction company ever since... It's not beat up by any means...

PS- Get yourself some heavy duty floor mats... I have the ones that are about 1/2" deep and hold the dirt and water...
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2008
  5. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

If you swap out your transmission I will buy that 48re from you. I'll give you more than ATS will give you as a "core charge".

PM me if you're interested. I will make you a cash offer.

6. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I would wait on the trans. swap until it's necessary.....unless you have extra cash burning holes in your pockets
  7. 2003ctd

2003ctd Senior Member

My trans has a 132000 miles on it, been plowing, towing, and hauling since day not one problem with it... Just do your maintenance to it!! Spend the $100 and do a trans service once a year!! I do mine twice a year, its cheap insuance!!
  8. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

The only real downside I can envision with that truck is the ESOF instead of a pull lever. But, if they're as reliable as my Ford, you'll be a happy camper.

Nice truck.

9. TL697

TL697 Senior Member

Mine has ESOF, and I would have prefferred a manual shift for 4x4, but it has worked flawlessly...
    I'm actually impressed...
    It is "instant on" and "instant off"... I've gotten used to shifting back and forth between 2WD and 4H as needed while plowing. Helps turning around at the end of a parking lot or run...

They really did their homework...
    I had a '93 Chevy K1500 w/ that POS heated actuator, and after that, I made sure that my 2002 Ford F250 had a shift knob for the 4x4 system... When I bought my 2005 Dodge, I didn't have a choice cuz I was getting a great deal... It works so well, I actually like the convenience, now.
  10. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

i wouldnt touch the trans either, the 48re has really proved to be a good trans, youll only run into problems if you start any hp increases like 75 hp and up. if you have 30k miles i would change the fluid and adjust the bands. youll love that truck especially the cummins, youll never go back to another:D
  11. BlueRam2500

BlueRam2500 Senior Member

Service that tranny at least once a year and you will be fine. I have 82k on my truck and no problems with the trans. Only issues I had were front end which I replaced with all MOOG stuff and the fuel pump which I replaced with a FASS system. I have aftermarket performance parts on my truck and my trans is holding up perfectly. Good luck with the new truck.
  12. payton

payton Senior Member

i do it even got the same color
  13. chazmanian

chazmanian Member

Thanks gents! Lots of good advice to be had from Y'all and I appreciate it! Put 800 miles on the truck over the past week and I'm literally shocked by the mileage...Not shocked...Amazed!

This truck replaced a 2007 Hemi Quad cab "Hot-Rod" truck with big 20" bling wheels that was simply worthless as a true money making work truck....The Cummings has a taon more Torque and never downshifts with cruise set on the Hwy it simply powers up and over hills like they werent there.

21.5 Hwy MPG...16 MPG City? This thing is amazing.

I do need to acclimate myself to the solid front axle handling differences as I have already overshot a few corners and intersections as well as the way the wind plays tricks on me with the different suspension system. I was so used to my 07' 1/2 ton and this truck feels the same when I'm sitting in it that I keep doing dumb stuff forgetting I'm in a solid axle heavier rig.

Cant wait to plow with the Cummins and so far so good.

30K and the trans has already been serviced as well as the fuel filter being done twice and the oil has been changed 5 times.

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

my buddys got an 05 cumms with a curtis plow and he plows all commercial with it, and never had a problem.
  15. ECS

ECS Senior Member

chazmanian, I have a 2000 Cummins. I have been plowing with it since 2004 and have been pulling a load (horse trailer & cabover camper) drom 2001 - 2006, pulling a lawn trailer with it since 2005. This truck has been under a load basicly since the summer of 2001. Everything on the truck is original except for some tires, a serpentine belt and two weeks ago my alternaor went. I have been more than pleased with it's performance. I have the tranny fully serviced at least once a year, oil changed every 3000. I wish you have the same good fortune out of yours as I have had.
  16. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I plow with my 06 Cummins Quad Short with a 8' Hiniker straight on it. Works great, the only complaint I would have is it seems like the trans temp gets up there. I would recommend a bigger cooler or a deeper pan.

Was that truck ever in an accident? I thought the top bumper cover was suppose to be color matched.
  17. chazmanian

chazmanian Member

I thought the same thing. Its the first one I have ever seen with a black piece there. I went over the truck with a fine tooth comb and couldnt find any overspray and all the bolts on the radiator mounts and tranny cooler havent had a wrench or socket on them....I cant figure it out myself? I know the stock color matched unit had issues with bugs, paint and chippage and I have the original owners phone number I cant imagine him replacing that unit unless he smashed it but even the bumper mounting bolts are factory untouched. Unless the bodyshops are using velvet lined sockets to trick oldschoolers like myself!!!

I'm going to call him back and inquire about the bumper cover as the first time we talked it didnt come up and I was still too new to the 2500 scene to realize that its probably wrong.

Truck drives in a straight line and dosent have any drivability issues ....Guy actually traded the truck in for a new VW turbo diesel as he wasnt happy with the mileage he was getting with the Cummins. Office worker...Truck aint never pulled a trailer nor carried anything heavier than some groceries.

(Went outside and smoked a ciggarette and noticed that the grille is just too shiny for a 3 year old truck with 30K highway miles. Way too shiny. That grille must be new)

Whatever the guy rearended must have smashed the grill, the headlights and scratched up the plastic piece over the bumper. The bumper is factory stock and unmolestered. I cant find any obvious signs of grille replacement but my 07' Ram's grille looked worse than this one in 6 months! This trucks airbag hasnt been redone either so maybe he rearended a big tall SUV going 10MPH?

This was my 07' grille at 3 months. Its still shiny new...just like the new one on my 05'!

Bought the 05' for half the cost of a new one @ 23.6K with 30,000 miles so I'm happy with the deal. Very happy that I dont have the new 6.7 as the local Dodge dealer seems to be working on more of those than any other vehicle they sell. By this time next year it will be torn up....Employees. Paint stains....Snowplowing stuff added.
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2008
  18. NBI Lawn

I wouldnt worry about it. My guess is the damage was so minimal that it wasnt even worth it to having it painted.

Who knows maybe it came like that for some reason. Could be part of some package I/we dont know about :confused:
  19. chazmanian

chazmanian Member

NBI....I cant help myself. I'm thinking about a Smarty JR. My fingers hovered over the order now button for 20 minutes this morning!

Is there a reason why you went with the Edge Juice over the Smarty Jr ???

If so why?

20. NBI Lawn

The main reason was I liked the display on the edge. I can set it up to display 4 different readouts at one time. Right now its set up for Trans Temp, Boost, Gear, and EGT, it can show many different things though. Also, the backdown is a nice feature along with the warning alarms. Really easy to use and can be changed on the fly by the push of a button. I also have on one my 06' Duramax and had one on a 06' Power Joke.

The only other programmer I would consider if I were you would be the Banks. The others are just to sketchy if ya ask me. I guess I am not familiar with the Smarty Jr. though.

Copied this from Edgeproducts.com:

The Attitude in-cab controller allows for on-the-fly power level changes, enables extra power levels on the Juice and completely replaces gauges. The unit is capable of monitoring and displaying EGT, Boost, Engine Temp, Engine Load, Tranny Slip and True Speed if non-stock wheels are on the truck. The Attitude offers the additional safety feature of EGT backdown, allows the user to execute 0-60 and quarter-mile tests* and provides adjustable fueling levels at low boost and during shifting to improve towing and driveability

I might sell you mine if you want. I was just looking through Edges web site and found this http://www.edgeproducts.com/product.php?pk=81&pvk=247 . All I use mine for is the readouts and monitoring so this is perfect.
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2008