1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2005 Chevy Prep for Boss 8.2 Poly V

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by TWrench, Sep 8, 2009.

1. TWrench

TWrench Junior Member

Hey all- coming off a '99 Dodge with the Cummins and a Western Ultramount. New truck is a 2005 Chevy 2500HD w/ 6.0L. The new plow is a Boss 8.2 Poly V RT3. Haven't installed it yet, as I wanted to make any mods needed to the truck prior to installing the plowframe. Having done a few searches, it looks as if I will need to put a few turns into the torsion bar adjusters, but past that, I can't find any clear-cut reccomendations. Some say Timbrens are needed, others don't seem to think so. Also noticed a few people mentioning reinforcement of the frame, but couldn't find a lot of info about that either. Just looking for a few tips so I won't have trouble with it this winter. I don't plow commercially- just my business lot, driveway at home and the occasional friend's driveway. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
  2. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Is it a RC, EC or CC? As for the front end- a couple cranks on the t-bars, been working for me the past 2 seasons- so far so good. I may put in timbrens this year, but not sure yet.
  3. TWrench

TWrench Junior Member

The truck is an Extended Cab Short Bed.
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I'm surprised. Try the word "gussets" in the search box and at least a dozen threads should pop up.

For all the more you're plowing I wouldn't be too concerned about beefing the truck too much as long as you don;t plan to drive around all season long with the pow on. A few turns on the T-bars and a few hundred pounds of rear ballast should be enough for your situation.
  5. TWrench

TWrench Junior Member

Thanks for the ideas. I did manage to turn up a few threads with pictures of the gussets you spoke of. Good idea! I have already fabbed them up, just need to scuff the frame clean there and weld them on. Probably going to turn up the bars that day too. Then I can go ahead and install the mounts and the harness. Just want to have it all done well in advance of the snow flying. Nothing worse than working on a cold garage floor because you procrastinated while the weather was good... :( Love this site guys- thanks for the help!
  6. grf_1000

grf_1000 Senior Member

if you have not installed a 2nd battery, i would recommend doing it. sure helps.