1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2005 chevy 6.6 duramax lly

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by MNcasper, Feb 7, 2014.

1. MNcasper

MNcasper Junior Member

trying to help out my daughters b/f I don't know a lot about diesels so I I thought I would try the wisdom here (hope I'm doing this correctly, never started a thread) here's what he sent me.
    "I have a 2005 chevy 6.6 duramax lly the problem is that it has really no throttle response and takes at least quarter mile to get to 60 boost gauge says 5 psi went full throttle and power comes in and out and jump the truck forward and I have notice the whistle in the exhaust is gone but I can still hear the turbo it self is still spooling I have changed the fuel filter 3 time changed the vane turbo position sensor the air filter changed two turbo boots checked all turbo lines checked the turbo and all looks good i have looked around online people have said the map sensor could do that but I am not sure I'm starting to run out of ideas"

anyone? thanks Keith

2. larryhd

larryhd Senior Member
    from vermont

check all the rubber boots sounds like you are losing boost you could have a leak also check the intercooler you may have a leak there
    and make sure you pull all the boots off and look at them

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  3. MNcasper

MNcasper Junior Member

thanks, I will pass that on. guess I need to learn diesels now :waving:

4. BowTieDmax

BowTieDmax Senior Member

The vane positioner plate in the turbo is probably stuck. It's a round plate that has slots that adjust the vane paddles. Mine kinda rusted to the shaft in the turbo. The turbo has to come off then I just cleaned the rust off and all was well

5. BowTieDmax

BowTieDmax Senior Member

So what was ever found to be the problem?

6. MNcasper

MNcasper Junior Member

Sorry for lack of response, I know the turbo was stuck and he pulled it off and repaired it. Put it back together and seemed to work fine for a few days. I don't recall the exact misstep he made (will have to ask him again) but I believe it over boosted or over fueled and toasted the engine. Again I will have to ask him again. Again sorry for my tardiness, he hasn't wanted to talk about it and I put it out of my mind. I will let you know on both issues. Thanks Keith,

7. BowTieDmax

BowTieDmax Senior Member

Just wondering. I figured the vane plate was stuck. Not sure what happened after that