1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2005 Chevy 2500HD with 6.6L Durmax w/ Allison Tran

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by SpeedySnowPlow, Oct 10, 2015.

1. SpeedySnowPlow

SpeedySnowPlow Junior Member

Last year I bought a 2000 Silverado 2500 HD gasser with a 8'2" Boss V Plow. The truck runs fine, but I don't have room for two trucks, and needed something to pull our 28' travel trailer in the summer.

Long story short I bought an 05 Chevy Silverado 6.6l Duramax with allison transmission. Should be golden I thought. BUT when I went to the local Boss installer, they said that that truck isn't safe to put the plow on.

I've seen and been told by other people locally that they've seen them done on other trucks, so does anyone know if it's possible, or advisable?

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If we all listened to the dealers we would be running around with 7.5' light duty straight plows.
    Which body do you have?
    I have two 2007 duramax's. 1 is a 2500 regular cab with a 9'2" VXT and the other is a 3500 regular cab dump box with an 8'6" Western MVP with the Western wings.

3. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

The dealer is covering his butt because by the application guide you'll be over on the front axle. We all are. Buy it and do the installation yourself.

4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

5. Ty27

Ty27 Senior Member

We have the same exact truck a 4 door short bed. Last year we put a 8'2" V-XT on ours and it's been fine. The local distributor put the plow on for us too. We have a 2" leveling kit on it and during the winter about 6 60lb sand bags in the back.

6. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

You will be fine. Just put gussets on the frame to help it(you can find all that info by doing a search on here). Do the install yourself as mentioned above.

7. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

I have a GMC 2500 hd regular cab 6.6 with a Boss 8.2 v. Never had any bad trouble just your normal stuff from stress. I beefed up the back suspension out of a 5500 so I could haul my 14k excavator.

Be careful of the dreaded transfer case. If it starts leaking or acting up you can patch them and not burn it out like I did. Check out the front end after every season you will be fine. You will use more brake pads.

8. SpeedySnowPlow

SpeedySnowPlow Junior Member

Thanks gang

Hey boys, thanks to your help, I went to another installer and they said the same thing about liability. They are installing it next week :)

Thanks so much!