1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2005 chevy 2500hd was over heating assistance plz

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by TMLGC, Nov 26, 2014.

1. TMLGC

TMLGC Senior Member

Currently plowing with above vehicle, first time plowing with it purchased used from gm dealer 80,000 miles.

I plowed 3 places and was driving back all under 45mph shirt distances. I notice temp creep up toward 260 the max. I pulled over shut things down everything appeared fine. Let it sit started again within 2 miles same thing and engine overheating warnings come across the DIC.

Shut down wait try again starts to do the same. I pull over to turn around then right back to normal 210 and message board warning is gone. I drive several miles to next spot and plowed it no problems.

Any thoughts please??? I called my father in law as his truck is my back up he thought thermostatic may of stuck open.

It's been about 1 hour and no more problems. Going to park it and wait till storm is over but obviously this is on my mind should it occur at 3am on

2. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Four things could be your problem. Stopped up radiator, stuck thermostat, degraded antifreeze or poor air flow caused by your blade. Drain and flush your radiator. Replace thermostat and fill coolant system with new antifreeze. If you still have a problem. Change the adjustment of the plow for driving down the road.

I just remembered something. By all means replace your radiator cap. Over the years they can lose the ability to hold pressure. Higher coolant pressure keeps the coolant at a higher pointing point.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  3. TMLGC

TMLGC Senior Member

Thank you I just parked it and will wait for storm to finish. After it corrected itself it never went above 210 again.

Also this evening I have noticed my outside temp is way off on mirror. It says I'm plowing in 60 degree weather I'd bet it is related if that may help.

I will have dealer do all aforementioned, hopefully I can get through the night when the storm is over.

4. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

The fan clutch is known to go bad. But symptoms would slightly different

5. xjoedirt55x

xjoedirt55x Senior Member

Can you hear the fan when you accelerate? It should be pretty loud.

6. searay220

searay220 Member

I would bet it's your fan clutch. Same thing has happened to me. DON'T buy an aftermarket one STAY with OE. Don't make the same mistake I did.

If you can stop your fan with a rag or glove on your hand while the truck is running at idle the fan clutch is no good.

7. TMLGC

TMLGC Senior Member

Thanks after doing a bunch of searching that sounds like a very common problem. I'm heading back out in about 1/2 an hour and hopefully I can finish the night. I'll keep the plow just off the ground while driving.

Although I've had several other GM trucks and could drive around with the plow in any position and it did not bother the temp.

8. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

My truck overheated once because I was moving a friends plow and couldn't get it to adjust because the plow was a two plug and the truck a three plug.That was 3 years ago and haven't had a problem since.It could be the plow causing not enough airflow to the radiator.I would try that then fan clutch is probably next

9. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

Unrelated. The sensor is mounted behind grill, plow blocks airflow to it, so it is picking up engine bay heat.

10. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Fan clutch,and new fan, clogged radiator internally and externally.

11. TMLGC

TMLGC Senior Member

Good news is I finished my route. It started doing the same thing again 3-4 times. I pulled over dropped the plow and let it idle while revving engine with heat blasting and the temp would go down.

Thank you all I will bring it to Weirs GMC next week and will update what they find.

12. McG_Landscaping

McG_Landscaping Senior Member

Fan clutch. It's a chevy thing

13. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Buy a delco fan clutch

14. TMLGC

TMLGC Senior Member

Thanks it's at the local GM dealer now where I bought it. I did what searay said today after driving across town and getting the truck up to temp without the plow on. I put a glove on and was able to completely stop the fan with very little effort/pressure. All pointing to the fan clutch. Seems to be a easy fix.

15. woody617

woody617 Member
    from pa

I had the same problem, tied everything possible even drilled a bigger hole in themostate . Both myself and mechanics couldn't think what it could be , the owner of the shop came over reached in and spun then fan like it was nothing then I started the truck and he stopped the fan with his bare hand and said it was a clutch fan never had the problem again .

16. xjoedirt55x

xjoedirt55x Senior Member

Yep. I had it happen to me last year. Had to buy the specific tool to hold the pulley because it was stuck on there pretty good.

17. TMLGC

TMLGC Senior Member

Thank you all! Weirs GMC just called said it was in fact the fan clutch and that they ordered a "new updated one" sounded like a common problem and the new version should last better.

18. JAJA

JAJA Member

I put electric fans on my 03 they work really good

19. TMLGC

TMLGC Senior Member

That sure was it. Just did a partial route, raining here with warmer temps than before and temp never went above 210 and tranny temp never went above 150. Drove with the plow all the way up no problems.

20. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Nothing like success. Now you just need some white stuff.