1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2005 Chevy 2500 HD Plow?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by exmark1, Dec 31, 2006.

1. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 2005 Chevy 2500 HD Extended Cab, Short Box, Duramax Diesel.
    I am thinking on putting one of my 8'6" Hiniker V-Plows on it, is there anything to watch out for when plowing with these trucks?

Is there anything that I should or can do to the truck to prevent it from dropping the front end as much and to prevent suspension problems? I have heard that the Chevy's have issues with having a plow do to the smooth ride causing the suspension to not be able to handle the weight of the plow properly!

I do not know if I have a plow prep package as I bought the truck used. How do I tell if there is a plow prep package installed on this truck from the factory?

Thanks

2. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Put timbrens on the truck. and you will be all set. Then post pic's... It sounds like you have a sweet truck.

3. exmark1

Here is the only picture that I have right now! That was the day after I bought it, the other truck is my 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 with a Cummins. I basically bought a new truck and kept my old one for a work truck!

IM001440.jpg

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Look at the label inside the glove box. The code for Snowplow prep is RPO VYU. If you have an owner's manual, look on pages 4-56 and 57.

5. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

I just put a 8'6" Extreme V on my truck, just like yours. Only timbrens, no turns on the t-bars and it only drops about 3/4".

6. exmark1

Do you run with any ballast weight in the box? I know on all of my other trucks we usually have about 600 pounds at the rear of the box for weight.

7. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

First thing to do is get a good amount of ballast. They recommend 600 lbs. on mine, but I use more like 1,100 lbs. Then, get yourself a pair of Timbrens. Cheap insurance for around $150, and a cinch to install yourself. You'll be just fine plowing with that setup. These trucks do just fine. Got good tires on it?

8. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

There was a few sand bags back there but not behind the wheels. I have since put about 1000lbs back there but haven't hooked up the plow to tell if anything has changed. For some reason it won't snow!

9. Briarpatch Joe

Briarpatch Joe Junior Member

factory snow plow preps have the switch on the dash for a roof light