1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2005 Chev Boss Mount Problem

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Deere John, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

Hi All - I have a Boss mount problem that I need your help with. I am installing a 2000 model Smarthitch 3 Boss mount on a 2005 Chev 2500 HD. The plow was previously on a 2000 and 2002 Chev.

The problem I have is that the bumper of the Chev seems to be further out front to the point that it will not allow the lift tower to lift itself into position: it is stopped by the bumper. The kit went onto the truck without any problems, using all the holes as usual - the bumper just seems to be further out.

Has anyone else had this problem? The plow can't hook up right now. I need to do something to (?) move the mount tabs outwards or ?? Your ideas would be appreciated.

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

GM did move the bumper out and down a touch. Not sure if boss issued a new mount after the changes by GM.
  3. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

yes chevy extended the bumper i think 2" there should be a new mount fot the 03 and up the new mount will work on the 99 and up but the old will only work up to 02 becuase of the bumper probably not what you wanted to hear but thats the way it is. if boss still makes the center piece that bolts on you could probably have a welder put new flanges on it. with holes that are offset to give you a extended mount.
  4. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Assuming the mount you have was removed from a 3/4 ton it should be the same. The 3/4 ton mount part number is LTA04767.
    With the 1/2 ton mount the push beam support plates along with the angle bracket are differant. The 1/2 ton mount part number LTA04766.
    The push beam is the same for both, I only have the past three years of undercarriage guides here right now, will have to check the earlier guides tomorrow went I get in the shop to see if there was another part number listed.
    :rolleyes: John...
  5. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

Thanks for the help - I have ordered new front side plates to replace those that came in my LTA03699 (1999-2002 3/4 ton) kit. They should be in on Wednesday. I will lengthen the rear push beam supports on the plate that goes from under the oil pan to the push beam myself (that part is $240 way up north here).

JRKRACE Senior Member

Don't forget about the electronics.....2001-2002 had different electronics as opposed to the 2003 to present. Went through this myself and had to get a new harness for my Fisher...
  7. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

Update - I ended up modifying the side brackets and the rear support brackets to move the whole works 2 and 1/4" forward. At the same time, I adjusted the tower angle to be more vertical, by grinding more off the front of the side plates (the ones with all the holes that I cut from the frame/towhook brackets) than the back, before pouring the rod to it. I still got the 15 and 1/2" pin hole height, got the tower more vertical for more lift, and did not have to remove or cut the air dam. I cut the driver's side tow hook in half and welded a bracket to the resulting flat surface to bolt the electrical connectors to, through the tow hook hole in the air dam.

I also chopped up the headlight relay system to remove the relays that were used in 2002, to just take advantage of the connectors.

Piece of cake.