1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2005 Chev 2500 Not Taking Gas

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Gmgbo, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Gmgbo

Gmgbo Senior Member

Everytime I try to fill my tank the gas pump trips. Ive tried different stations and positions. Takes about 20 min to put in $40.oo worth.

Any Ideas?

2. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

sounds like the vent tube is clogged or pinched.

3. hondarider203

hondarider203 Member

I second that its happened to all 4 of my trucks

4. buttaluv

buttaluv Member

heck...I wish my truck wouldn't take gas! ha ha

5. Gmgbo

Gmgbo Senior Member

I blew out the vent lines and the problem still exists. When I take the cap off there is pressure. No check engine light.

6. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

did it happen instantly or did it get worse slowly? could be vandalism if it just started happening one day out of the blue.

what about snaking the filler tube?

7. hondarider203

hondarider203 Member

There is also a vent silinoid on there that goes bad that's what happened to my 07

8. Gmgbo

Gmgbo Senior Member

slowly started going bad

9. Marty_J

Marty_J Junior Member

The vent solinoid is bad happened to me in my 2006. Real pain in the a$$ trying to get 20 bucks in..........

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

11. bswalks

bswalks Member

This won't work. It's the vent solenoid. Ez fix, inexpensive too. Mechanic relocated mine to a spot that didn't get so
    much road sand thrown up on it, but it's starting to go bad again.
    I agree. Very frustrating trying to fill the tank, especially when it's cold out.

12. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

If it's the common evaporative emissions vent valve solenoid failure then, just like bswalks said, it's an easy inexpensive fix. There is a TSB that recommends relocating it, and it can be bought as part of an expensive relocation kit for over $100, or it can be bought alone for $25. The kit just comes with a length of heater hose and some zip ties, IIRC.

I'm not sure how likely it is to be that part; the usual failure doesn't cause difficult filling, that'd usually be what BSDeality said about the vent tube (totally different, unrelated vent). The common failure of the vent valve solenoid throws a P0440, P0446, or other P044x code and has no other symptoms.

Part number 25932571 is the updated part. It looks different from the old one but hooks up the same and does the same purpose. Check Discountpartshub.com / dealer / ebay / parts stores.

Location is between the frame rail and bed, drivers side, front of bed. You'll need to un-bolt the bed and lift it to get access.

Old one looks like this:
    [​IMG]

Updated one, part 25932571, looks like this:
    [​IMG]

If your original one lasted 7+ years then there's no need to relocate it, just put the new one in the same place. If you re-use the location, the bracket will need to be bent by hand a little to get the updated part the clearance it needs.

Getting the plastic hose disconnected properly is the hardest part.

13. chevboy167

chevboy167 Member

i relocated mine to bolt to the underside of my DEZEE toolbox in truck. i live on gravel so having it accessable to clean the filter is a must. hooked a clear rienforced agg tube to the vapor canister, enlarged the drain hole in bed on drivers side, hooked other end of tube to vent. also got the pigtail plug harness from GM and made the wiring harness longer to reach the relocated vent solenoid. no more problems with thrown codes or slow fills!

14. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

There's a serviceable filter in it? I guess I should have relocated mine after all. :(

15. Gmgbo

Gmgbo Senior Member

Fixed Ac# 214-2149 THanks

16. chevboy167

chevboy167 Member

to holycow: the filter is serviceable. the cover on the unit can be a pain to remove. some are glued on but can be broke loose. first time i did mine, it was packed completely full. thanks gravel roads! but even regular highway/ road grime and sand can fill them up over time. some units are PITA to get to. thats why i relocated it. when its under the vehicle, i find its easier to remove entire unit and clean out with water. dry it good, replace dry element, reinstall. a regular cleaning schedule like every couple oil changes works well.