1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2005 C4500 Brake question

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by In2toys, Sep 2, 2010.

1. In2toys

In2toys Senior Member

Brakes have been squealing for awhile. Today THe guy I had driving it called & said the brakes were gone & fluid was leaking out of right rear brake. When I got there we clamped the line off with a vise grip & got it home. (brakes were fine after clamping) Is the caliper with the pistons bad? I can't see a leak by the hose. NAPA Doesn't have one in town. Hard to believe. Transwest wants 550 for a new one. Will putting the new pads on & forcing the pistons back into the caliper fix it, or is the seal shot?? thanks,

2. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

How can anyone tell u without seeing it? Capiler piston maybe ? banjo bolt maybe brake hose maybe? No pushing the pistons back wont fix anything.

3. In2toys

In2toys Senior Member

ya know what you smart ass, that answer can be applied to every thread in this forum topic....

4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I agree with brad

You have the truck, take the vise grip of and step on the brake that will tell you where the brake is leaking. I cant see it!!! Maybe you need to take the wheel off. maybe take the caliper off. If you got to ask how to troubleshoot something that is leeking... take it to a professional.

5. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

I was not being a smart ass. But its like me saying to you ,Hey im bleeding what can be wrong? Now Im being a smart ass.

6. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

My C4500 did this in may..It was the caliper..does this mean its the same for you? NO, But im 90% sure it is. Also I did both sides Rotors, Pads and New Calipers for just under $700. Shop around or maybe my dealer can ship?
    :mechanic:

Lenin

7. In2toys

In2toys Senior Member

thanks for the CONSTRUCTIVE info 02duramax. Consider the thread closed, I have the part ordered.

8. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

You get it fixed??

9. In2toys

In2toys Senior Member

yep, both sides, thanks again