1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2005 800HD plow fluid leak

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by ed salvatore, Dec 5, 2010.

1. ed salvatore

ed salvatore Member
    from boston

Hi Folks,

Pulled the plow out of covered summer storage recently, changed fluid (which was full), worked it out to check everything working ok (no problems) and then parked it, off the truck. Used blue Fisher fluid since there is a Fisher dealer close by, but not Blizzard. Didn't think it would would be any problem. Now I've noticed a large spill of hydraulic fluid under the plow on the driveway after it sitting a few days on the stand.

Hoses and connections all look good and dry. Tough to pinpoint, but I think it is coming from beneath the plastic fluid reservoir right where it connects to the pump/solenoid. I've tightened the three bolts up a bit (little loose) at each corner of this connection, but am unable to reach the inner, lower bolt (inner corner, somewhat under the plastic tank) with any extension and flex head rachet I own. Really tough spot with the plastic tank flaring out over the bolt head preventing direct access. Must look for a "c" shaped, 3/8" I think, box wrench at Sears or someplace I guess.

I guess what I'm asking is, is a leak possible there, any history with leakage there anyone has experienced? Suggestions on a tool that might access this bolt.

As always, thank in advance for any suggestions.

Ed
    South Shore/Cape Cod

2. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Have you checked your manifold to pump bolts? Sounds like you might have an oring leaking there.

3. ed salvatore

ed salvatore Member
    from boston

leaky 800HD??

Thanks. I'll take a look at it.

BTW, when I said I changed the fluid, I simply evacuated the reservoir, and refilled it. I know I took the lazy way out here, but still could not have gotten that lower inner bolt off without a different type of 3/8" wrench, I'm thinking a "c" type from sears or wherever???

Ed

4. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

I notice when I change the fluid on any of mine of add fluid to the tank, that they will tend to "burp" once or twice if you run the plow through its motions. Also make sure you didn't overfill the tank, the "fill line" marking on the tank is sometimes hard to see. If it has too much it will leak from the tank. Of course these are just 2 things to look at if you haven't found any leaks from your hoses first.

5. ed salvatore

ed salvatore Member
    from boston

Thanks,
    Will check everything out again.

Ed