1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2005 2500HD 'whistling' from dash area when heat is on

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mdd, Jan 26, 2007.

1. mdd

mdd Member

most notable with accelaration and also in hard turns. seems to be worse when the plow is on. whitling comes for a few seconds then disappears and so on.

any ideas? VERY annoying.

took it to service, they flushed and filled the ac, that seemed to help for a little while but i'm noticing it again

2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Are you sure something didnt fall into the defroster vent?? Maybe when turning or whatever it shifts and gets into the airflow and causes the whistle?

3. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

You sure its in the dash and not the serpetine belt squeeling. Mine will make a whisteling noise sometimes, especially when its very cold.

4. Fordistough

Fordistough Senior Member
    from USA

Maybe a vacume hose left off the engine. It will change the whistle volume as you increase the RPMs?

5. mdd

mdd Member

yes its mainly when i accelerate from a slow speed or if rpms go up while i'm driving

also, i paid a little closer attention, it also seems to happen more and/or only when the plow is on????

6. jce4isu

jce4isu Senior Member

mine does the same thing drives me nuts

7. mojob

mojob Member

It sounds like a vacuum hose is loose inside the dash somewhere. I know some vehicles use vacuum operated heater/a/c controls. Have you had any work done in or around the dash like a new stereo. The hose might have been knocked loose.

8. JMurph

JMurph Junior Member

I have the same noise

I have an '03, 3500 dump, and I notice the same thing when the heat is on, and especially when the plow is on. It whistles for 3-4 seconds and then subsides, and repeats every 30 seconds or so. It is very faint but since I've notice it, its been driving me crazy!!

9. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

this probably is wrong..:dizzy: but could it be the tensioner pulley on the serpentine belt?

10. JPMAKO

JPMAKO Senior Member

Or just wind noise from the airflow of the plow hitting the Antenna, Windshield, Mirrors???

11. spazfam

spazfam Junior Member

Have a 2005 Sierra HD does the same thing seems to start when tranny temp and engine temps are up from running for awhile. Don't remember getting it in the summer just winter.

12. mdd

mdd Member

exactly!!! do you have any ideas??

13. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

When the snow stops I will post pics. I guess it doesn't protect the hinge, but it must be a fill for the cowl appearence. Hmmmm? Let me get the pics up so I can show you what i mean.

Jon:dizzy:

14. mdd

mdd Member

thanks i appreciate it

the whole system seems to be taxed when plowing along with the whistling i'll also get some type of 'hissing' too

15. hammerstein

hammerstein Senior Member

I am glad I am not alone. My 04 2500HD has been making that howling noise from inside the passenger dash area since it was brand new. Not all the time but only does it when plowing once the plow comes off it will not happen. Just another GM mystery.

16. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Yeah, take it back to the dealer and tell them to fix it. :rolleyes:

17. spazfam

spazfam Junior Member

Just this week I have really paid attention to this noise. When my trainy temp gets to about 200 and the heat is on the noise starts and stays on until I turn the heater fan off. also when the trainy temp gets to 200 I get a spike in engine temp .. almost readlined yesterday. shut it down for about 10 min and it cooled down. WTF

18. dbdrgr150

dbdrgr150 Member

My 2500hd used to do it to... not a cheap way to do it but i traded it in, that problem was fixed, But now somthing whistles from under the hood of my dodge, i kinda like it though.

19. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

sounds like your blower resistors are starting to take a dump

20. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

Mine makes that noise but it sounds like it is coming from the floor board right above the tranny inside the cab.

RCGM
    Brad