1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2005 2500HD where to go through firewall??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by turfy49431, Jan 10, 2008.

1. turfy49431

turfy49431 Junior Member

Just wondering where you guys went through the firewall on your 2500 HD's, mine is a '05 and I am running the western little square plug through there

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Here a pic showing where the factory provided one would be....the hole won't be there unless the truck is equipped with the plow prep package but the revision for it will. If you look on the back side under the dash, you will see where the insulation has a punch out in it for this pass through location. Make sure you use a grommet.

image006.jpg

3. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

The factory did not drill holes for plow prep in 05. You have to do that yourself. I found a circle on my firewall pad in the general area and used a 1 inch hole saw to do the job. Make sure you a small pilot hole first and also check the inside of the firewall before you drill.

Regards Mike

4. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

They didn't do it on the 07 NBS either or at least mine they didn't. I have plow prep.:confused:

5. turfy49431

turfy49431 Junior Member

Thanks guys, I will check that out

6. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Rather than drill holes in my firewall I went throught the steerng rack grommet.

7. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

I went through an existing hole on my NON-plow prep 2005 2500hd 6.0. I am one to many drinks deep to remember what line was in that hole, but all i did was push the grommet out with a screwdriver and feed my line through. I couldnt get the grommet back in and have not had a problem with it yet(first season). I doesnt seem to leak any air, at least the heater has no problem roasting my feet. One of these days I have been meaning to silicone up the hole, but not in a big hurry.:drinkup:

:drinkup:

8. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Instead of making new holes I went through an existing hole near the master cylinder - 4" towards the drivers side and 2" down from the master cyl. It's a 1.25-1.5" hole with a small wire running through it. Looking from the inside it's right above the "box" that you wire the brake controller into between the brake pedal and Ebrake pedal. Sorry no pics it's dark out.

9. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Hi Guys
    If you are only running a small wire thats ok, but in my case I have a large wire feed for my spreader going into the cab, wires going out to the spreader. I also have wiring going to my work light's through that hole. Also the wiring for the Boss Plow. It isn't all going to fit in that small hole by the brake cylinder.

Regards Mike

10. turfy49431

turfy49431 Junior Member

thanks everyone