1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2005 2500HD Strobe Question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by coachglynn, Feb 14, 2005.

1. coachglynn

coachglynn Junior Member

Hey guys. I read the site often and love all the info. I'm wanting to put a hide-a-way strobe system in my 2005 2500HD. My question is where to put the tube in the tail light assembly. I want to put an amber tube in the reverse light but it seems like there isn't enough room. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks
  2. The tail light assemblies are different from GMC to Chevy. I had plenty of room in my GMC. I went in from the side that is right next to the tail gate. It's tight but it fits. If you haven't bought the amber yet, go with clear, you won't be disappointed. I've found the colored strobe tubes to not be anywhere near as bright as the clear. If you are putting hide aways in the upper brake light, be careful not to mount it near the tail gate cable support bolt. I found out the hard way. Check your layout before drilling. Good Luck!
  3. andrewlawnrangr

andrewlawnrangr Senior Member

try doing a search for that bec i posted the same thing about 2 months ago i got great info
    good luck

4. coachglynn

coachglynn Junior Member

Thanks for the replies. I looked in the search but could not find my answer. I am wondering if anyone has installed a hide-a-way strobe in the reverse portion of the new Chevy tailight and does it fit? Thanks again.
  5. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Do a search for "Strobe questions" by 04 Superduty. I posted pictures there of my 2001 Chevy 3/4 HD taillight and headlight assy out of the truck with the holes drilled. It is post # 29 of that thread. If you can't find it let me know and I will email it to you. The tailights are not the same I believe but it should give you a good idea of where to drill them. I have two heads in my tailights, one in the brake part and the other in the backup len's.

Good Luck Mike
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2005
  6. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

First - don't be like some of the tools who use strobes and put it in your RED lense area. I know in Illinois this is illegal. For my rear strobes I used an external mount and placed it under the bumper on either side of the hitch. This is brighter and reflects wider. ( Check out http://strobeguy.safeshopper.com/44/1915.htm?420 ). I've used this item for 7 years now no problems. For the front strobes I removed one marker light on each front facing turn signal. There were two bulbs per lense and missing one isn't noticable.
  7. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Scott, most cops will not bother you if you run with red strobe's in the rear, just don't try to pull someone over. I use my strobes on a busy 4 lane road where I have several accounts. Every once in a great while I will forget to turn them off when I'm done plowing the lot. Not a big deal for the most part just use common sense. I think if you use your head and be careful where you use them it's not a big deal. Is it illegal? Yes in most state's it is. I run 8 strobe heads because I want to be seen. They are 90 watts and when I'm running with all the lights you can see me. Having been rear ended at a red light will do that to you.

Regards Mike
  8. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Intresting. I will have to keep strobes inmind. Hell, I was rearended at a greenlight! Snowing real hard, doing 25 in a 35, and some jerkoff is doing like 45 and slams into me. Funny thing was that the guy was cool about it. He pulls up and hes like "sorry I just hit you, follow me"... So he TEARS INTO this lot in his envoy, SIDEWAYS, asks me to look at my car for damage, there was none. I ask him "what about your car", and he goes "dont worry about it, I hit you." None the less, like he tore in sideways, he tore out of the place sideways, again doing 45 down harper in a 35. LOL. some people either 1, dont learn, or 2, dont care. or 3, have enough money they'll do what they want. LOL. I found that guy quite humorus, and made a good story to tell for that week!
  9. coachglynn

coachglynn Junior Member

I don't want to put strobes in the red portion of the taillight, that is why I'm asking if anyone has fit them in the new chevy reverse lights. I did the search you guys mentioned and it was very helpful but it think that the 2001 reverse light had more room. I am trying to keep my truck looking stock so I was leaning away from under bumper mounts. I'll keep you guys posted, I'm determind to get them in the reverse light.

Thanks again for replies
  10. E&B

E&B Member

I install on average of 3 dozen strobe light kits per year and i've never had a lens I couldn't fit them in. Always use amber bulbs behind a clear lens, anything red or blue or clear is illegal and its just not worth the hassel you can get. Up front I tend to go with clear because they shine brighter.
  11. kemmer

kemmer Senior Member
    from NJ

12. I just did it over the weekend!

I just installed a 6 bulb (Whelen) system for a friend this weekend in an '03 Chevy 2500 HD with the new style lights. I was able to get them in the reverse light with no problem. I drilled (using a one inch hole saw) in the flat section of the b/u light above the bulb. Look at the above post with the link, and that will give you a good view. Using that pic from that angle, I placed them slightly right of the b/u light bulb and as close to the lens as the flange would allow. You may have to trim the taillite housing a bit as was done in the pic on the middle lamp.
    I used the flanged housing bulbs, not the push-in rubber kind and although it's slightly curved the screws tightened against the gasket and housing just fine. As I said in an earlier post, take your time and lay it out so that the strobe doesn't touch the b/u light bulb. Sorry I don't have a picture.
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2005
  13. coachglynn

coachglynn Junior Member

Thanks Motorman,
    I think I know exactly what what you did. It sounds good. I think I am going to go with that plan. I haven't ordered my sytem yet. I was going to get the pop in type bulbs but I think the regular ones you screw in will give me more clearance. Thanks again for the walk through.
    One more question. Is two strobes on each side in the front that much better than just one? I don't want to overkill but still want enough light. Thanks to All!
  14. CG,
    If you're still going with the colored strobes, then 2 on each side is OK.
    If you are going clear and putting them in the DRL's or directionals, 1 each side is plenty. Clear bulbs w/a 90 watt PS is REALLY bright and will really drive you whacko at night while plowing, to the point you will shut them off!

As I think I stated earlier, mine are all clear, flanged mount, 4 to the rear, brake lights and reverse lights, and 2 to the front in the DRLs and I'm happy. There are many other opinions from all the great guys here, it's just personal preference.

Also, one other thing, if you have the option, get the "deutsch" connectors on the bulbs. Its a much better, water proof connection, especially in the rear with all the sand salt mixture and worth the extra 6-8 bucks each.

Good Luck!