1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2005 2500HD Rotors??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Mike_13, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Mike_13

Mike_13 Member

I am having problems getting the rotors off the rear axle. Any suggestions? I'm not sure if I am missing something. The parking brake is NOT engaged. Are the fronts the same as well? Thanks.

2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Good possibility they are rusted/fused to the rear hub. If you are replacing them, beat the poop out of them till they come off. Or you may have to get a puller of some kind

3. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

I've had amazing luck with a flame wrench. Shoot penetrating fluid all around the centering hub then torch the rotor just outside of the hub, but try not to heat up the hub. Should fall right off. Acetylene works best, but propane or MAPP torches work too.

4. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

Careful with beating you could damage the bearings, but I have been known to take a BFH after them. I actually broke a rotor with a puller and it was under such pressure it would have hurt if it would have hit me.. Here is what I did to get the last one off. I use an acetone/ ATF mix and soak it down good. Then I use an air hammer around the hub( be careful not to hit the studs) to try to looser it up. Then BFH it. Next is heat and more of the BFH.

5. haejinjoe

haejinjoe Junior Member

Front and rear rotors are the same in that they are the "pop off" type. The rear may enclose parking brake shoes. I am not sure about that, however.
    If you use the hammer just be careful not to hit studs with it! Penetrating oil, careful use of a hammer, and sometimes a prybar from behind the rotor while using said hammer in the hub area of the rotor near the studs. It is a good idea to put the lug nuts on the ends of the studs to protect the studs while hammering. (Still carefully and some patience of course!)

AverageJoe