1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2005 2500HD overheats

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by SnowMatt13, Oct 24, 2007.

1. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Bought the truck used in May. Just installed my plow and my truck overheats. Actually it gets to about 250 for coolant temp and then suddenly drops. My '01 did this and they had an updated fan clutch that turned on sooner. Called the stealer, and they said it is all electric now?? It is controlled by a relay. And they didn't know if a different one was available. Want to get this taken care of while it is still under warranty. Any help is appreciated.
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Drop the plow a little when driving should help,and driving when it's warn out doesn't help.
  3. SnowMatt13

Had it as low as it would go. Scraped everytime I turned. It was just funy how it do to 250 and then dropped to normal, within 30 seconds. Something turned on, or maybe thermostat was stuck??
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Could be. You might have to replace or see what type you have. Check and see what should be in there.
  5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

What you're describing is actually normal. The fan clutch is kicking in at around 232 degrees "F". Check out your owner's manual section 5-41. If you'd rather, you could make it kick in sooner by running in a lower gear (keep the RPMs up) or put it in Tow/Haul mode (does the same thing). But make sure to check the coolant level.

If it IS overheating, it'll flash a message at your about "Reduced Power" because it's trying to cool itself by running on half the cylinders at a time.
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
  6. SnowMatt13

I actually got a "coolant temp hot" message. Never lost any power though. I watched my trans temp climb too. It didn't go down when the coolant temp went down.
  7. frndinalowplace

frndinalowplace Senior Member
    from 7hills

I actually had the same problem on my 02. In my situation with a meyer 7.5 I found out that the truck breathed better when the plow was up high. The wind creates a vortex and somehow gets air to the radiator. Might wanna try that.
  8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Matt, is it a classic body or the new body style truck? Does it have the plow prep option?
  9. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

A way to help cool the engine a little is turn the cab heater on and set the temp as high as it will go and turn the fan on high. This will add another small radiator in the system, the heater core. This will pull a little heat out of the coolant. This is only a temp fix.

10. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

air flow. maybe craft an air dam and attach it to your plow to direct more air to the radiator. Or maybe your thermostat is sticking or the fluid is clotting up.
  11. SnowMatt13

Thanks for all of the responses. I will try driving it with the plow a bit higher. I talked to my friend who is a Chevy mechanic last night. There is a TSB that is for that truck to replace the fan clutch. I told the stealer yesterday that is what they did to my '01. So, it should be o.k. after today.
  12. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Junior Member
    from Vermont

my 05 did the same thing last season. One of the guys on here worked at GM and said some of the engines went through without the fan being changed. I asked my dealer and when they had it in last month for an oil change they checked...had the wrong fan clutch ... changed it for free ... love that warranty! (They have the same truck and plow setup as I do and the dealership truck never overheats) I took the plow out for a drive last weekend, ran faster than I'd really ever go with it on ... 65-70 mph. temp gauge didn't even budge, and it was in the mid 60's as far as temp that day. So i'm hopin' that it is solved.

This site is great for info!!!
  13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Matt, make sure to question what the exact p/n is on the replacement clutch they install. GM has updated these clutches numerous times since '01 and some dealers are still installing the older p/n clutches in order to get rid of them. Request that they show you the actual box the clutch came in..(not just a p/n written on the work order) the newest clutch part no is: 15710101...do not let them install the 22149877 p/n clutch, as it's the "old" updated clutch.
  14. SnowMatt13

That first number is the one they did, it is my really good friend who worked on it and that is the p/n listed on my reciept. Thanks for the responses.:salute:
  15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Good deal Matt. You should be all good to go with the updated clutch but like the other guys said, don't forget you may need to run with the blade low to the ground also..
  16. SnowMatt13

Always run with it lower. A bit higher than I would like but the curb guards scrape.