1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2005 2500hd overheating

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by gino, Aug 4, 2005.

1. gino

gino Member
    from Maine

Well Well Well. I spoke to my Chevy dealer today and guess what! The 2005 2500hd has a bulletin out and there is a fix for the overheating problem. They have come out with a bigger electric fan blade for cooling. The truck is going in on Thursday. Thanks for the support. I really appreciate it! This site is awesome! PS. I had to get to the service manager at the dealer to get an answer. He didn't know about it until I called and made him research it! Oh yea, 1 more thing. The dealer told me that the cooling fan doesnt even engage until the motor reaches 230 degrees. That seems a little hot to me. Would 215 or 220 be better? I guess I'll just leave it up to those geniouses who cant even set up a proper colling system after 5 years of trials.
    g

2. gino

gino Member
    from Maine

Update: Apparently this model has both an electric fan and a clutch fan. they installed the new clutch fan today. Hopefully it will be all set.
    gino

3. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

So your truck now has two fans???

A picture of this set up would be nice to see....

4. gino

gino Member
    from Maine

Hey Frozen. Ok I think I finally have my story straight. I called the dealer today and spoke to the mechanic who actually worked on my truck. He replaced the CLUTCH Fan. I was a little confused because I was told that the 05's didn't have a clutch fan and it had been replaced with an electric fan. Well, the mechanic told me that all 06's have the electric fan. But some of the 05's have the clutch fan and some have the electric fan, depending on when it was manufactured. I have also read a few things that said the 05's with clutch fans should have been built with the upgraded fan but GM was having a problem with factories installing the wrong one. I am in Miane so I will not be plowing again until December so I wont know if the new clutch fan will correct the problem. I am assuming that it will. I have to say that I am very disappointed that GM didn't make good on the clutch fans for 04 and 05 when clearly they knew there had been a problem since 02. My best guess is that they just went with the original clutch fan and figured most people will never have a problem because they don't plow. Mine came with the snow prep package so it definitely should have been right the first time. It is upsetting to see your brand new $36,000 truck overheat with 600 miles on it. Especially when it easily could have been taken care of.

5. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

GM's motor (like most) arrive pre-assembled at the factory... I was told that the trucks with the plow prep package were suppose to have the fan replaced prior to leaving the assembly line. Well this just goes to show you, that the quality control guys at the gm plants keep falling asleep... I wonder how the new trucks with the electric fans are doing then....

Anybody out there with a GM truck with the electric fans on them have any input???

BTW Gino my truck roars from the fan ever since the clutch was replaced... and the truck has never over heated. since that point..

6. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Hi Frozen
    As most of you know I work for The GM Truck Plant in Pontiac MI which builds the full size trucks. I also work in the quality dept as a inspector. The plant builds what the engineering dept sets up. They do not come into the plant with the fans already on them, that is done at the assembly plant. Also not all 06 trucks will have electric fans, some still have a fan clutch style fan. The 1/2 tons are all electric fans but the heavy dutys still have the old style, they are put on right outside my office door.

I have seen this time and time again, we have a problem and a engineer says this is the right way, build it like this. Most of the time they don't have a clue what the hell they are doing. There is no good parts and bad parts on the line, those poor guys just use what ever stock is bought to them.

Then you have the dealer issue, you take a truck in for service and they have never heard of the TSB for overheating. I may have to have mine replaced also, she was running a little hot while pulling the 30 ft trailer this summer. When I go into the dealer I will already have the TSB number and will want that fan clutch replaced.
    Regards Mike

7. JRKRACE

JRKRACE Senior Member

I had this happen to me last year in my 04. I've overheated twice, and after reading this board, found the TSB to give to the dealer. Replaced the fan and all is well. Even better, I've noticed the fan come on during hot days and my A/C is a little colder now. Very happy overall..As trucks get more and more complicated, it's easy to see where one person may have made a mistake. But I agree, this issue should have been resolved by now...

8. twodan

twodan Member

O5's Overheating

would you have that tsb number handy? i've an 05 i have not plowed with yet and would like to run it by the service manager next time he see's my truck. i inquired about the purchase and installation of timbrens last visit; was quoted about $250.00 installed and might go with it.
    thanks,
    dan

9. flykelley

Dan, You can install those timbrens yourself about a 15 min job, all you need is a socket and a floor jack. The TSB number is 04-06-02-006 The new part number for the fan clutch is 22149894. If I remember I will double check that part number at work on Monday to make sure its a good number.

Regards Mike

10. gino

gino Member
    from Maine

Hi Fly. Thank for the input! I want your opinion on the overheating with regards to engine life. When my truck overheating it never got into the red. I would say it was a little over 3/4 up the gage or say 245 degrees. This was plowing after my truck had 600 miles on it. Do you think this would have caused damage to the motor? Will a condition like that decrease horsepower? It is still irking me!

11. flykelley

Hi Geno
    First and foremost I do not let my trans temp go over 200 degree's, you do not want to burn that tran fluid. I also change my trans fluid every spring. You also never want your truck to get hot enough to get in the red, if you do you need to stop and let it cool down. I don't think that you can hurt that engine by being hot and running it in the red for a short while, but it can't be good for it. If it gets real hot yes the truck will act like it is losing horsepower, thats why you should do what ever you have to so it will not overheat. Short term you will be ok, long term not good for your engine.

Regards Mike

12. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I wonder if the duramax engine has any problems with the fan. I can tell it was extremely loud when it kicks in. It only did when I picked up my plow when driving. and sometimes in the morning when I first start out if if it over 85 outside. When I was taking the blade home on the highway the temperature gage on the rear view mirror went to 110+ degrees and it was only about 65 outside. I heard the sensor is in front of the radiator and can be relocated. The plow deflects the wind and messes that up. The engine temp was fine.

13. gino

gino Member
    from Maine

Hey guys,
    I have another update for you. As you know I recently had the clutch fan replaced to fix the overheating. Today I took my truck for a ride around town with the plow on it. It was 80 degrees and I drove around for about 1.5 hours. The new clutch fan roaring was music to my ears. I even ran it with the AC on full blast for a while. The engine temp never even hit 210 and the transmission temp floated between 160 and 180. Looks like the problem is solved.
    Thanks!
    Gino

14. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

FWIW... I too just had mt 05 clutch fan replaced with the 22149894. I guess it is just a 2wd model clutch fan, not a new design.