1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2005 2500hd Front end rattle

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by gino, Oct 28, 2005.

1. gino

gino Member
    from Maine

Hey folks,
    I have a 2005 25000hd. It has Timbrens on the front end. Lately I have a noticed what seems like a minor rattle, or clatter in the front end. I feel it in the steering wheel. Its only when I hit bumps. Its pretty minor, Its like I feel the vibration in the steering wheel, although the wheel itself is tight. Maybe I am going crazy and its always been there? Or, I was thinking it could have something to do with the Timbrems? I know they are installed properly with the spacers in the right direction etc. The only oddity aboiut the install is that when I had it done I noticed that a spacer on one side was backwards. The guy who installeld it fixed it by loosening the shock, then spinning the spacer around to the proper position. I watched him tighten the shock back up but he didnt use a torque wrench. He went more by feeling and by eye comparing it to the shock on the other side. So it looks ok to me? Could a couple of turns on that shock make all the difference. or should I look elsewhere? Or do other people have this rattle with their trucks? Thanks Guys,
    Gino

2. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

I had the same problem with a 2004 2500hd. You are not crazy. It is the steering intermediate shaft. They have been giving them problems since 2000.
    I got mine done under warranty.(on 3 trucks) Check with your local dealer they should not give you a problem.

3. gino

gino Member
    from Maine

Thanks so much for the info. I really appreciate it!
    G

4. gino

gino Member
    from Maine

What will they do to remedy? Is it a major repair? Or just a tweak?

5. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

They will one of two options... Lubricate the steering shaft with some "new" type of grease or replace it with a newer version of the steering shaft... but from what I heard the new one will develop the same noise.

6. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

It's either that, or your timbren is not sitting in the mounting cup properly. I have the same problem with my truck. I though it was the steering shaft, but after looking into it more closesly it was the passenger Timbren rattling around in the cup. It's started out as a slight clatter, and it's progressed into an annoying squeek.

7. Merc1100sc

Merc1100sc Senior Member

My 05HD is making the same noise in the steering shaft. I cant believe GM cant get this straightened out yet. Ive had 5 Full Size GM's since 99 and they've all needed the update/grease repair. You can buy the kit for $11 and do it yourself in less than an hour. The thought of some of these dealership mechanics dragging their coat zippers over my fender makes my stomach turn. Id rather fix it myself. As you can tell, ive had some bad experiences w/ a few local dealers.

8. bugthug

bugthug Senior Member
    from Pa

My 05 2500hd is also doing the same thing. Funny everyone that has ridden in the truck but the gm service manager has heard the noise.

9. gkm

gkm Senior Member

Same here! I thought it was plow wires vibrating under there. I m glad im not the only one.

10. gino

gino Member
    from Maine

hehe, i feel the same as you. Why is this my 4th chevy anyway?

11. gino

gino Member
    from Maine

Mine is going in on Thursday to be repaired under warranty. Another exciting trip to the dealer. I will also get an oil change while I am there. I wonder if they will overfill it again this time. To be continued...

12. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Chevy replaced the shaft on both of mine. What a PITA.

13. gino

gino Member
    from Maine

They went ahead and replaced that steering shaft today.Its all set. And they did overfill the oil, but not enough to mention.............Thanks for all your input. This site truely is awsome!
    g