1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2005 2500hd duramax turns off driving down the road

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by plowboy87, Dec 15, 2014.

1. plowboy87

plowboy87 Senior Member

On my 05 duramax I can be driving down the road and it will shut off like someone turned the key off. Sometimes it would take a bit to get it back started. I have changed cp3 pump in the last year and hand primer housing. Then just put a fuel injection control module in it within a week. Still shuts off occasionally. old ficm said it losses communication. Any ideas what would fix this?

2. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

check your harness connections...if ever apart, then one of the wires may be slipping out of the connector....this happened to my 03

3. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member

x2 what he said. don't forget to check the 2 big bale connectors, if they aren't locked in tight all sorts of craziness will ensue.

4. BRL1

BRL1 Senior Member
    from Wyoming

Might be the ignition switch. Do you have a lot of crap on your keychain?

5. plowboy87

plowboy87 Senior Member

Yes my key chain is pretty big. Checked all connections to make sure they are not lose. Been two weeks now have not had any problems. Hope I didn't just jinxed myself.

6. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member

good point; the ignition switches will wear out fast if you have stuff on it besides the key. I make it a rule to not have anything on the keyring but the key fob.

7. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Truck key and house key on mine. I hate a pocket full of keys.

8. BRL1

BRL1 Senior Member
    from Wyoming

I would just replace it with a ac Delco part. The switch just clips in and all the wires just un plug from the switch. You can't really tell its bad until it's replaced. Sometimes the teeth springs get loose and make the truck think your turning the key off.

9. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

My friends 2001 you could take the key out while you were driving.it also took a lot of giggling trying to get the key to turn when starting it.Replaced the ignition switch.No more problems

10. SMiller

SMiller Member
    from IN

It is the engine wire harness, very common on the Duramax. The wires break as the get brittle over time.