1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2005 2500 hd gas

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Going Commercial, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Going Commercial

Going Commercial Member

My truck is a 2005 hd, gas, plow prep, tranny cooler, etc. I just put a new plow on this truck Friday 11/14/08, it has never been plowed with before but due tow with it. Truck has 30,000 miles on it. Temp guage never reads over 210. Since plow got put on the guage is bordering 260 and close to overheating and info system on dash says "coolant temp hot". Truck is going to Chevy dealer for another plow issue. I told them about the temp and they did not offer any solution other than position the blade differently when driving, which I already tried and did not work. They will look at it. WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT THE DEALER TO DO TO RESOLVE THIS ISSUE ???

2. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

How high are you putting the plow when driving?

3. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Needs different cluch fan... Dn't let them hose on an updated one./..

4. Gerry125

Gerry125 Senior Member

Just curious, what does your trans temp go to

5. Going Commercial

Going Commercial Member

The plow is a western 8ft 6 in v-plow. I tried all positions with the blade nothing seemed to work. My temp guage goes up to 260 and I was 1 hash mark away from hitting it. My on board dash alarm went off as I stated. I mentioned the clutch fan to dealer and they said they would look into this but never had the issue before. My truck is very well maintained and I have not had the temp go over 210. I don't know what to say to the dealer other than this truck is a hd and should not have this issue.

6. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Are you talking about tranny temp or coolant temp? Either way it's too high but I would like clarification.

7. Going Commercial

Going Commercial Member

Coolant temp is high but tranny temp is higher than usual but not a concern.

8. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

OK I also gotta ask, at what speeds are we talking?

9. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

I have the same truck and had the same problem. As rich said It needs the fan replaced. If the dealer says they dont know about it go to another dealer. As soon as I said something to my dealer they took care of it and many others on here have had it replaced.

10. Going Commercial

Going Commercial Member

Traveling at 60mph. I just dropped the truck off and the service guy told me the truck is not made to go on the highway wiyh the plow on it. I told him that is not acceptable because my customers are 20 miles from me. I run a 99 tahoe and a 03 suburban with plows and never overheated either. Clutch fan was dicussed but he mentioned an updated one. I did not want to attack from the start but told him to take the plow off and give me my $ back if I can't drive it where I want to.

11. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

New clutch for the fan will solve all your probs..Did mine on the 02 i have and drove it an hour away (highway)on a 65 degree day and all was great. do a search and get the part #

12. Going Commercial

Going Commercial Member

What or where should I search? The truck is at the dealer now.

13. k&j Landscaping

k&j Landscaping Senior Member

I believe the gm part number is 15710101. Saw in a previous thread. Maybe different part number for 4.10 and other gears. Others have used Autozone's extreme duty fan clutch. Let us know what you find out. Gm part on gm-parts direct.com.

14. mcginner

mcginner Junior Member

The new part number for the fan clutch is
    15710101 for the LQ4/GT5/VYU engine &
    22149877 for the LQ4/GT4/VYU engine

this info is from TSB # 04-06-02-006

15. Going Commercial

Going Commercial Member

Are these part numbers updates to replace what is in the truck now. I don't know what the dealer is going to do for me because I am only at 30,000 miles but 4 or 5 months past warranty date. Never had a problem before new plow went on. I have not even used the plow yet just drove 10 miles and it heated up

16. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

If they dont fix it just get the part and put it on yourself. You can do that job with your wifes "do it herself" kit :D. No worries, trucks always run much hotter with the plows as I am sure you know.

17. MikesLawns

MikesLawns Member

Clutch fan. I have 2 2004 HD and the same problem. They put new clutch fans in and I go up and down the highway doing 65 mph no problems.

18. RichG53

Demand that you have a warrity and tell them to fix it ...You paid for the Plow Package ...They are not living up to there part of the deal.......

19. Going Commercial

Going Commercial Member

Dealer called and said my fan clutch is weak and recommends putting in the heavy duty. Original and h-duty are same price installed for $260.00. I told them I should not have to pay for this. My warranty is expired by 5 months. I told them I do not have a problem when the plow is off and temp never goes over 210. I paid for a 2500 hd, plow prep and this is not acceptable. I called GM complaint center and I am waiting to see if they will cover the $260.00. THE WAIT IS ON !!!

20. RichG53

GOOD going ...Stand up to them they know what they have to do...I believe there is a TSB..On that problem...