1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2005 2500 4x4 vibration

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by The mayor, Jul 8, 2008.

1. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

This all happened at once. When pulling a trailer from a stop I get a bad vibration/shake throughout the truck. When I slow down and stop the same thing happens. This happens also when there is no trailer. Any help It has a 6.0 engine with 66000 miles

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

It is most likely a U joint but I'm sure B and B will help you out.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

So it didn't have this vibration until you pulled the trailer the first time?

When you experience an "instant vibration" on these trucks it's usually due to the drive shaft yoke sticking in the tail housing on the rear of the T-case...thus binding up the ability for the shaft to ride back and forth in the tail shaft bushing. Might want to check it out.

Won't hurt to check the U-joints while your there too like JD mentioned but they normally come on slowly, getting progressively worse with time. Have seen stranger things though..

But this only applies direct on a regular or extended cab truck. If it's a crew cab they can also bind up at the slip connection where the two shafts are mated together, but not at the T-case tail housing.

Other common instant vibrations would be a bent/loose wheel or a defective tire.

4. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

It's a extended cab. My wife took the truck to do something and she said when she put on the brakes it shook badly. The truck was in the yard and I had to pull a trailer(16ft enclosed) It did it when it took off and on braking witha growl buzzing noise when slowing down and not putting my foot onthe brake.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Can you estimate from where the noise is coming from...front, middle, or rear?

Can you feel the vib in the seat...or in the steering wheel?

6. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

I only use the truck once a week in the summer. I brought it out today special. Now it only vibrates when taking off. The vibration is all over. I think I will lube up the slip connection and change out the u joints. Better now than in the middle of winter.

7. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

Thanks for the help. It turned out to be the u joints.