1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2005 1500 sierra, clunking noise while turning

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by lodogg89, Sep 26, 2006.

1. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

Pretty much like the title says, i noticed this a while back, when i turn in parking lots and stuff i hear a clunking sound, not real noisy, in the front end somewhere. Anyone ever here of this??. BTW this is a 2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab, never been plowed with either.
  2. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Did you put on bigger tires? If so it could be rubbing the tread on the front bumper cover or air dam. If so trim it so it doesn't touch. If it's not that, check the steering stops for grease, as a matter of fact grease everything up front.
    Last but highly unlikely on a new truck, check the CV joints.
  3. Fergy42286

Fergy42286 Member

I had my steering shaft replaced about a month ago with only 12,000 miles. Sounded similar to that. Just a thought.
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2006
  4. golden arches

golden arches Senior Member

Chevy will tell you that it's no big deal, but seems to be a problem for all. They replaced my steering shaft at 15000, then have regreased it regularly every 12,000 since.

Looking forward to hearing from owners with more miles on their trucks to see if it becomes a problem later on.
  5. aus316

aus316 Member

sorry guys u are face with a ever demon the steering shafts are on ther 3rd redesign and lube kit per gm i am a gm tech and see these daily and wish i had a better answer but none are given to me if i do find a better answer i will holler at u all:gunsfiring:
  6. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Could it be an axle???
  7. aus316

aus316 Member

If u were in 4X4 then 50 % chance if not the probally not u dealing with the drreaded steering shaft:gunsfiring: sorry
  8. QuadRacer041

QuadRacer041 Senior Member

i had an 01 that did that and now i have an 06 that does the same thing. seems to do it more when the weather is cooler. i also sometimes hear a sqeek too. should i bring it back to chevy or just deal?