1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2004 transmission problems

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by boba, Dec 25, 2004.

1. boba

boba Senior Member

Superdutyy with build dates 3/8/04-6/24/04 equipped with auto trans have a problem! Low/reverse gear set pinion shaft "may" walk out. You should notice harsh/ slipping shifts and/or harsh/delayed forward or reverse engagemnets.

Fords plans to inform owners after the 1st of the year.

MY 350 dump is in with the problem.

FYI: Customer Satisfaction Program 04B24

2. Stoney

Stoney Member
    from NW OHIO

2004 F350

Just got done plowing 14" of snow for 30hrs straight no problems at all with the ole powerstroke.

3. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

is that the gas or diesel tranns?

4. boba

boba Senior Member

diesel trans with build dates between 3/8/04 and 6/24/04

5. boba

boba Senior Member

04 went to the dealer on a flat bed! I'm told kit is in from ford. I really wonder if this will do it as the truck had to be pulled out of the garage.

Service writer from another dealer so the truck going by and called me. He has 3 truck with the same problem and ford tells him kits are 3 weeks out!

Can't wait for monday to talk with service manager.

6. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

Mine just went in for what I believe to be the same problem. Found trans fluid all over the garage floor.

Mine was built on 09.29.04 - 5.4L V8 gas motor

7. spacolee

spacolee Member
    from canada

Mine is going in on Monday for the same problem and am I getting snow here :cry: :cry: :cry: I wonder if ford will come and plow my sites NOT.

8. boba

boba Senior Member

Trans lasted two hours of plowing after BOTH kits and numerous other parts installed! Trans fluid all over customer's driveway. They tell me "Should we call the EPA!" Just another day we a new truck. 2700 miles.

9. dzd9fy

dzd9fy Junior Member

Ouch, that has got to sting, new truck bad trans.

Unfortunately things will only get worse with more HP and torque from this engine with the same trans....

10. Plowlikehell

Plowlikehell Member

Yours is a broken case due to a bad snap ring. Sounds like a reman unit for you

11. Plowlikehell

Plowlikehell Member

Someone didnt do both fixes while it was in for repair.

Sorry to hear

12. sbrennan007

Got a call from the service manager today. The trans is cracked and they have ordered a new trans from the manufacture. We'll see how it does when I get it back.

13. mrusk

mrusk Junior Member
    from nj

When they replace the tranny are they putting in a NEW one or just a rebuilt one?

Matt

14. Thats a nice looking rig. Exactly what I ordered, color, interior and all except I got the crew cab and the idiot back-up alarm. Ordered it last week. Looking to get it in late March, early April.

15. sbrennan007

My understanding from the service manager is that they are going to put in a new trans. He said that it was coming strait from the manufacture.

16. sbrem

sbrem Member

I was at the local Ford dealer today walking around the lot, and out back, behind the service area there was a brand new, window sticker still in the window F-350 with the tranny out of it. I could see the front drive shaft hanging down, so I took a closer look and sure enough, no tranny.

Stephen

17. mrusk

mrusk Junior Member
    from nj

I drove by my local ford dealer today and they had 6 6.0 autos in the parking lot that were in for service. I don't know what they were in for, could eb the tranny though. The shop there has big windows and i looked in. 3 more PSD were being worked on. One even has the tranny next to the truck on the ground.

I was going to buy a 05 mason dump, but now with all these proablems i just can't take a chance. Ford lost a sale. I found a good deal on a cheby. When ford gets their act together and come out with a motor and tranny that arn't junk, they'll get my business back.

On the internet we only here from a small percentage of truck owners, i wonder how wide spread these proablems really are.

Matt