1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2004 Tahoe Gas Gauge

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Sir Roy, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Sir Roy

Sir Roy Junior Member

The gas gauge on my Tahoe seems to be 90 degees off. When it's full, it reads way past the full mark, at almost the 6 o'clock position, at empty it read at the full mark or near 2 o'clock position. The range on the DIC seems to be accurate, so I don't think it is a problem with the sending unit. This issue came and went in the past, but seems to be here to stay now. It's not a big deal for me but it freaks out the wife. Any ideas?
    thanks..........

2. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

The stepper motors in those clusters go bad all the time. GM used to cover them (03-05) with a 7yr 70k mile special coverage but they are all out by time. Ususally the speedo and tach go nuts. Idling will say 4500rpm!

You can either take yours and have it rebuilt or swapped for a reman unit and should solve your problem.

3. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

google gm stepper motor repair.There's tons of places that will rebuild them for around 125$.They tell you how to remove,your tahoe will still be drivable whileyou wait.Or you can repair yourself if your decent with an iron.Still have to repair mine,been a year!

4. Sir Roy

Sir Roy Junior Member

Thanks a lot! Sounds like a simple fix.

5. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

My 04 2500HD and my 05 Yukon, the speedos mess up every now and then. Sounds like you have the same issue. It doesn't bother me, so I'm not gonna fix it.