1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2004 Tacoma Double Cab - Curtis 7'

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by hbrady, Oct 28, 2003.

1. hbrady

hbrady Senior Member

After 15 years of plowing my road with a 1977 F150 I decided to upgrade to something with heat and no holes in the floor :D

I just purchased a 2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 and I having a 7' Curtis Poly plow installed next week. The blade is 24" high and the dealer is also installing a suspension kit which helps prevent the suspension from bottoming out over big dips and frost heaves.

Before I take the plunge on the plow I was just wondering if anyone has had much experience with this type of setup. I live in Maine and last year we had a 22" storm that the old F150 w/ chains had a hard time handling. I'm just a wee bit concerned that I may be getting the Tacoma in over its head. The Toyota dealer said the Curtis 7' blade is the only plow they recommend for this truck. The only thing I will be plowing is our 1500' gravel road and our driveway.

Any advice / feedback?

Thanks
    -Henri pumpkin:

2. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member
    from Maine

From one Mainer to another, welcome to PlowSite. Where are you located, Henry? I live in Gorham (outside Portland) A trick I’ve come to rely on with a light truck is when you have a lot of snow (like 22”) raise the plow about 6”-8” – depending on your truck’s ground clearance – and make your first pass with the plow at that height. That way you’re reducing the amount of snow you’re pushing, but still removing enough snow that your truck doesn’t get hung up. This always worked well with my ’53 Willys. Admittedly a very different truck than your Tacoma, but the two trucks share the same weakness – lack of mass. Additionally, you can minimize the mass issue by adding some weight in the box. I’d suggest half a load of firewood – it’s easy, and readily available.

Jeff Pierce

3. hbrady

hbrady Senior Member

Hey Jeff:

I'm from Windham and I work in Westbrook so I'm just a few miles as the crow flies :D

Firewood would be good if I could find it for less than $190 a cord!!

I figured I would have to make a 1/2 cut pass on big storms but I'm also thinking I may want to invest in some more aggressive tread tires. It came with 16" BFGoodrich Rugged Trail T/A tires but the 1st time I got in a little mud I noticed the treads filled up pretty quick. I guess I should wait and see before spending another $700. I can always buy some chains to throw on for bad storms.

It will be nice to be able to plow with my kids, the old Ford was getting me high as a kite on exhaust fumes so the kids were not allowed to tag along
    :D

4. Adams plowing

Adams plowing Senior Member

if your going to get new tires invest in something tall and narrow like a 235/85/16 or 15 whatever size it will take. tall and narrow is the way to go with snow. but if thats all the plowing your gonna do is your driveway you might consider just going with the chains it'll prob be cheaper for you in the long run. as for weight in the bed bags of tube sand or like items work best if it has corners like wood or cinderblocks if you hit something and it flys its gonna do alot more damage to you and or your equipnemt that getting hit with something that will give a little like a bag of sand.

5. Brian Simmons

Brian Simmons PlowSite.com - Sponsor

plow with the storm

6. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member
    from Maine

Henri,

I have the same tires on my newly acquired Jeep CJ. They're 31" x 10.5" x 15 (really wide) so I'm also very concerned about traction. I'm considering picking up a set of snows on seperate rims to run just for plowing.

I too am looking forward to plowing with my kids. Both of them are looking forward to it too. My wife was never comfortable with them being exposed to the exhaust in the cab of the old Willys. Come to think of it though, she never seemed too concerned about how much exhaust I sucked in! I guess that's a good indication of where I stand in the pecking order in my house!

Jeff Pierce

7. t4dodge

t4dodge Member

Henri,

I assume you're the guy I referred this place to over from the TTORA msg board? Your V6 should be more than capable... My only concern is with the gravel road... Before paving my driveway, the effects of gravel with my Fisher could definately be felt in the cab, not sure how much my frame like it, but the job got done... My 2.7 four does great, which is why I can only assume your six will work wonders... My 99 Tacoma is lifted 2.5" all around, when the blade is mounted the truck sits stock height in the front... To bring the rear down and balance the load, I strap a set of my old BFG KOs on steel wheels in the bed... The truck sits level thereafter...

What kind of lift did your dealer install?? Spring spacer type??
    Is the Curtis a steel or poly-type blade?

Take care!
    John - CT
    [​IMG]

8. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

How long has the dealer been selling Curtis? Just wondering as two of my friends who sold curtis dropped them after tons of problems with the plows, wiring harnesses, and Curtis themselves not changing certain things on the plow.

I witnessed firsthand some of the common problems, as i worked at one of the plow dealers who sold curtis at the time.

The fisher homesteader is a lighter duty plow that could be mounted on your toyota.

I'm sure you know fisher is also out of maine. Fisher is still the number one plow in Curtis's own hometown if that tells you anything.

Bryan

9. hbrady

hbrady Senior Member

Jeff:

Yea, the tire width is my concern too, I'm picturing "floating" and not "digging" but I guess I will have to wait and see. I found some chains that look to be a quick install at:

http://tirechain.com/TRUCK-SUV-CHAINS.HTM

I may use those instead of buying a 2nd set of rims and rubber.

T4Dodge:

I have never been on the TTORA message board but I'm sure you referral was appreciated :)

The plow is a Poly blade and I can't remember exactly what the dealer said they are installing for the suspension. I believe it's a spring spacer, not designed to lift, just to decrease compression with weight on the front. The dealer has been selling Curtis for at least 3 years and they are one of the most reputable suspension / plow dealers in Maine. I think they opened in something like 1908 working of horse drawn carriages. If things go well this year I may get a lift all around next year. I need to watch the purse strings (or should I say my wife is watching the purse strings). The gravel road has me concerned too but I think the Poly edge and the lighter blade will help it trip and skip rather than rattle my teeth. I'm sure keeping it below 10Mph will help too.

I have seen your posts before and I was impressed with the details of your install. How does the Toyota do stacking the Snow piles? I'm sure my 77 F150 with 8' Fisher has better stacking capabilities but I'm just curious. Funny your screen name contains the word "Dodge", I just traded in a very sweet 2001 Quad Cab because I could not attach a plow (see attached). It's nice getting 17 MPG rather than the 12 my Dodge got!

Bryan:

I'd love to go with Fisher but my Toyota dealer said any plow but a Curtis will void my warranty. :mad: So far I have not heard many bad things about Curtis. I'm sure service comes down to how much volume the dealer does and since these guys are the only ones I know if in Maine they must carry some weight with Curtis (I hope).

Seth:

I agree, Sand = Good, Cinder block through back window = bad :eek:

Thanks guys.
    -Henri

ram1.jpg

10. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

Just wondering why the dealer is telling you the if you put any other brand of plow on other than a curtis it will void your warranrty? The fisher homesteader plow that will mount on your truck weighs less than curtis's 490lbs. Western's versions of the homesteader, is also around the same weight. Sno-way is also another light plow that would fit on your truck.

Not trying to open a can of worms, but why would the dealer only want a curtis plow installed out of 5-6 other plows out there?

Bryan

11. hbrady

hbrady Senior Member

Kickbacks? Oppppsss, did I say that? :rolleyes:

12. t4dodge

t4dodge Member

I have never been on the TTORA message board but I'm sure you referral was appreciated :)
    TTORA is a place for all of the Tacoma 4x4 geeks on the internet...
    http://forums.delphiforums.com/tacomaterritory/messages
    Great place for Tacoma 4x4 information...

How does the Toyota do stacking the Snow piles?
    Here's some pics from last winter in Northeast CT...
    http://www.chadwickfcu.com/temp/Feb2003.html

I need to watch the purse strings (or should I say my wife is watching the purse strings).
    My lift is pretty simple and cheap... Coil spacers up front and a AALs (add-a-leafs) in the rear... I did it all for under $300.00

I have seen your posts before and I was impressed with the details of your install.
    Thanks... $3500 was not an option...

Funny your screen name contains the word "Dodge"
    T4DODGE was my old screen name when I used to participate in the New England Shelby Dodge Club... T4 was the designation for the type of turbo my old 90 Dodge Shadow had...

It's nice getting 17 MPG rather than the 12 my Dodge got!
    As soon as you drive with the blade on or warm your truck up for any length of time, you'll soon see twelves all over again... I'm lucky to get 200MPG on a FULL tank of gas w/blade on...

13. t4dodge

t4dodge Member

14. hbrady

hbrady Senior Member

Thanks for all the info John; looks like ground clearance is critical to success. The old 77 Ford I used was heavy and had chains on all 4 so I could go through snow so deep I could hear it rubbing along the door about 30" off the ground. I don't think I'll try that with the Toyota. Keep the piles way back from the get go and plow while it's snowing (not after) will be my motto :cool:

Man, there are some pretty radical trucks on that Tacoma site!

Thanks again.
    -Henri

15. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member
    from Maine

t4dodge,

Is that Fisher a conventional mount or Minute Mount?

Also, very cool about your Dodge Turbo history. I'm into Volvo Turbos, and as I'm sure you know, we use the same Mitsubishi units. Tons of fun, and very addictive!

Jeff Pierce

16. t4dodge

t4dodge Member

Is that Fisher a conventional mount or Minute Mount?

Conventional...

Also, very cool about your Dodge Turbo history. I'm into Volvo Turbos, and as I'm sure you know, we use the same Mitsubishi units. Tons of fun, and very addictive!

Here's some "Garrett" VNT info...
    http://www.auto-enthusiast.com/images/VNT_writeup.jpg

17. t4dodge

t4dodge Member

BTW: Here's a link to the site I created a few years ago when I started the New England Chapter... I gathered as much Taco information I could... But I have since let the site go for other people to maintain... http://ttora-ne.com There's some hardcore things, as well as a lot of usefull tech data...