1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2004 Silverado 2500HD Tie-rod setup?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by TurbDies2500, Jan 17, 2008.

1. TurbDies2500

TurbDies2500 Senior Member

I went to get my tires rotated and an alignment and the guys told me that my tierod on the driverside was real loose. Just wondering how they are set up in terms of the inner and outer tie rods and if they both need to be replaced at the same time. Someone let me know if they have any insight on this. I dont want to get screwed if I take it in to get them replaced. I would like to just replace that one but Im not sure. HELP.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Your truck has 2 inner and 2 outer tie rods.

If one outer is loose and your going to get an alignment, you'd be future ahead to at least replace both the outer one as they are a common wear part on these trucks so I doubt the other one is too far behind. I'd also consider an aftermarket heavy duty set on a dedicated plow truck as opposed to buying factory or parts store stuff. Theirs a couple of aftermarket companies that make heavy duty outer tie rods for the 2500HD/3500...Fabtech and Cognito are two of them.