1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2004 Ram with Headlight Issues

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Injunfarian, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Injunfarian

Injunfarian Member

I just bought a brand new 2008+ wiring harness for both the plow side and truck side... Also got the Smartlights for my Plow.

The wiring harness on truckside is all installed and i followed the instructions
    The plow side harness is installed besides the 2 seperate wires that go into the "box" which I am unsure where they go since it use to be a 11pin plow.

I tested the lights turn signals work, park lights work... but no headlights either high or low also when i hit the switch to plow my truck lights are still on.
    When I hit the turn signals I get the lamp out light on my dash.
    I also tested the controller and can hear clicking coming from the manifold so I believe those are working as well(havent powered up the power unit yet since I still have to flush the system)
  2. Injunfarian

Injunfarian Member

So I read on another thread to check for power etc.

I checked my incab power source at the cig lighter and it is getting 11-12v reading with the key on.
    I also checked the dual burn wire and it also is getting 13-14v reading.
    Is there anything else I should be checking?
    How do i check if the switch is bad(truck/plow switch)?
    Also the wires for the truck/plow switch does it matter which way they go?
    Also even with the plow not connected if i select plow my truck lights should go off no?
  3. Injunfarian

Injunfarian Member

Also just tested the switch found the wire from the harness that is giving me 11-12v with the key on pluged that into the switch then i unplugged the other end of the switch
    set it to truck mode tested the unplugged end(wire to the switch) nothing
    set it to plow more tested... got 11-12v so the switch does work... can anyone tell me where to check next down the system?
    Also does the controller have to be plugged in for the truck lights to turn off while i am set to plow mode?
  4. Injunfarian

Injunfarian Member

tested the bumper connector on vehicle side
    turn signals were jumping up to around 5-7volts
    park light was 12v
    nothing at the lowbeam or high beam connector
    so the problem is between the bumper connector on truck side and the headlight switch
  5. Injunfarian

Injunfarian Member

just exchanged the relays from my old harness and still nothing.
  6. Injunfarian

Injunfarian Member

Figured it out had the selonoid wiring off.
  7. advantageplower

advantageplower Junior Member

hey just curious i have an 04 dodge 1500, wondering if you need headlight adapters at all,? i am putting a 7'6 straight blade on and heard both ways but no one knows for sure?
  8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

With the HB5 headlamps no adapters are required.
  9. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

I have an 2004 2500 and I did not have to use adapters.