1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2004 power steering leak

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by RLM, Sep 3, 2012.

1. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Truck is a 2004 2500hd with 6.0. Last year I replaced the power steering cooler, now it's leaking power steering fluid somewhere else. Even when sitting running in the driveway with out moving the steering it leaks. Ideas ?
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Here's an idea, look for the leak.
  3. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks, it's under (or above) the skid plates, can't see where it is. I didn't know if there are any "typical" areas for failure. Like I know many coolers on (not just 2500's) of this vintage tend to rot out.
  4. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

Look at the top and bottom of the steering gear box.
  5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

sure it's PS fluid and not transmission fluid.:confused:
  6. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Clear not red. I'm guessing it's a high presure line with a small leak spraying out slowly. There are two; one to the hydro boost from pump, one from boost to steer "box", at least that is my understanding, probably just going to change both. If I do one the other is bound to fail this winter at 30-40 ea it's not worth taking it apart twice.
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  7. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Last time i replaced lines on a hydroboost i did all 3 and it was only around 75 bucks for all of them. If you got the system open its not much work to just replace them all..
  8. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Replace all three at the same time. You'll kick yourself in the fatookus later if you don't. But more than likely its the lines. Is it more drivers side or pass side that shows the leak?
  9. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

It takes 2 mins to get those skid plates off....15mm