1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2004 Hemi 1500

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by phreakboy, Oct 19, 2004.

1. phreakboy

phreakboy Junior Member

I have a 2004 Ram 1500 Hemi, and I was thinking about plowing with it, it's a shortbed, standard cab so it does have a nice short wheelbase. I was just wondering about some opinions on plowing with it, and also if anybody has a undercarriage for a meyers plow for sale?
  2. Zed

Zed Junior Member

We plowed with a 2003 Ram SLT Sport, ext cab. That is we plowed with it when it wasnt in the shop. 3 trannies, both diffs, transfer cases, all kinds of stuff. The front end is independant suspension, plowing with it will mess things up. Don't do it is all I can say.
  3. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Zed What were you plowing dirt? 3 trannys? transfercases? Wow you guys must be in the 200 inch plus catagory too tear up a truck that bad. You must have run a hell of alot of hours too. I dont think Dodge offers a snow plow prep for the 1500's so good luck on warranty issues. Allthough for years Ford f150s were not supposed to run a blade either. The new ones in standard cab do offer plow prep though.
  4. Zed

Zed Junior Member

Let's just say we asked alot of the truck
  5. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Maybe you should have asked a little less when you cooked the first transfer case... man you must have been trying to clear snow with your foot through the floor board.
  6. festerw

festerw Senior Member

So you beat the sh*t out of it and got pissed when it broke? and you're blaming the truck?
  7. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

If I ran a Dodge which I do not, I would plow in low range and save the wear and tear on everthing. I have plowed commercial with a 4 cyl. standard 4runner in low range and never broke anything. Surely we are not saying Dodge is weaker than the 4runer are we? No, The secret is low range. Just food for thought.
  8. Zed

Zed Junior Member

well when our 4 other trucks broke down all within 3 hours of each other, the Ram had to do an extra 250 driveways. I'm glad to see though that you can read minds, must come in quite handy with the ladies. :rolleyes:
  9. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Put a plow on your truck, you mentioned a meyer mount, so get a 7'5" meyer. If your looking for a used mount, central parts warehouse (online) and ebay are good places to start. As for the truck just go easy on it, the newer dodges have more "crumple zones" in the frame so i hear. Your truck is capeable of plowing, thats why all the companies make mounts for it. Use it properly, get an aux transmission cooler if you don't have one alredy and your good to go. I would also beef up the front end a little with timbrens (load boosters) or airbags.
    Good Luck!
  10. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Dave good point but not really practical for commercial work. I run my Dodge without fear of breakage all the time. I think its just a matter of matching the right vehicle to the project at hand. Dont ask any 1/2 ton to due heavy commercial plowing without the risk of breakage. The Dodge 3/4 ton handles the job quite nicely though. No complaints here :) .
  11. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

I am noy saying you should use a 1/2 for a lot of heavy commercial. I use a one ton dually big block because bigger/stronger the better. If you only have a light truck with small engine/trans. and you insist on using it for hard work the only way it will survive is in low range. Agreed, newer 1/2 tons are just cars with a box on the back. Work trucks start at 3/4 ton and up.
  12. Stark_Enterprises

Stark_Enterprises Senior Member

Thats BU SH 3 Trannys? Diffs ? Transfer cases? on a 03 in one year? NO WAY!
    I dont care how much you were beating it. that just dose not happen in 1 winter!
  13. Zed

Zed Junior Member

my bad its a 2002. 90,000kms on it. And it was at least 4 people beating on it, and I have no reason to bs about it. Good luck to anyone plowing with IFS on a 1500 Ram.