1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2004 HD 2500 Gas Battery Drain

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Cosmic Charlie, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie Senior Member

I've had the truck since new, now 100,000 miles, nothing has changed for years, except the battery goes dead in about 4 days.

WHERE SHOULS

2. bradt

bradt Junior Member
    from NW MN

the easiest and first thing i'd do is pull the battery out and get it tested to make sure it's good. i had an interstate battery for less than 6 months that had a cell go bad; it would go dead in about 2-3 days. otherwise, disconnect the battery and put a dmm on it and see if the volts drop. if it does, battery is probably bad. if not, there is a drain in the vehicle somewhere. reconnect the battery and start pulling fuses one at a time until you see the volts stop dropping. tedious, but eventually you will find it.
    good luck.

3. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

I have seen a ton of on- star mudules not go to (sleep). Its behind the glove box. Id un plug it and give it a try. See if it helps then take it from there to repalce the module or live without it. Also mkae sure u r battery Is up to par as said already. If its original Its due anyway.

4. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

Is the battery original also?? Get it tested, and if its bad, drop a new one in.

5. snow tender

snow tender Senior Member

Battery

Start with the Battery. Check the terminals make sure they are clean and tight. If it takes 4 day i bet it is a bad cell.

6. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

take it to AutoZone or similar, and have them do a free charging system test.

7. Cosmic Charlie

I went to Advanced Auto Parts for a free battery/system check, the guy brings out a electronic tester and clips on cables to the positive & negative on the battery and also clips another sensor clip around the negative ground wire itself. He then say start her up, then race it up, the back to idle, then shut it off.

The computerized diagnostic thing then prints out a slip of paper with my results - FOR FREE !

Battery is OK

Charging system is OK

Truck electrical system at shut off has an electrical draw of 1.6 amps.

I will (some day) put a meter in line at the battery negative terminal and start pulling fuses to narrow it down. Some Day !

Thanks for all feedback past & future.

8. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

I had the same thing happen to me on my 03 2500HD and it has about 95,000 miles on it. This problem went on for about 6 months until we figured out that all of the connections on the truck side wiring harness were corroded and it caused a lot of drain on the battery. The battery would only last about 6 hours. Ended up replacing the whole truck side harness and have never had a problem since. Before I did that I tested everything else possible. I hate to scare you also but I have had mice problems in my 04 causing alot of shorts, so check for that also.

9. Racer593

Racer593 Member

I hate to scare you also but I have had mice problems in my 04 causing alot of shorts, so check for that also.

I trapped(killed} 2 mice in 48 hrs in my 04 after finding chewed up napkins in the glovebox. They can't resist lightly toasted peanut butter!! :gunsfiring:

Chris

10. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

Battery discharge problems can be difficult to troubleshoot. I had this issue on a much older truck than yours - '89 K1500. I don't drive it a lot and would eventually drain down and kill batteries. I read things online about Battery Parasitic Drain, like this article for a Fiero of all things:
    http://home.comcast.net/~park1619/links/6d1a.html

I have tried troubleshooting with a clamp on Amp meter but didn't have much luck.

Things like brake controllers can contribute. Also, I read where even bad diodes in alternator can cause discharge.

Work-arounds:
    I eventually gave up and installed a waterproof version of Battery Tender brand battery maintainer by Deltran. These things are super smart and totally automatic. Can not overcharge a battery.
    http://batterytender.com/

Another option I discovered is something called a Battery Brain auto disconnect:
    http://www.batterybrain.com/batterybrain.pl

Summit Racing also sell a few of the Brain Drain models.
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SMS-334126/?image=large

You can see a photo of the waterproof Battery Tender in another thread. It won't let me upload the photo again.
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=90104

Good luck.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  11. bradt

bradt Junior Member
    from NW MN

and, here's one more thought i had:
    on a few occasions (until i figured it out), i would drop the plow (with slickstick) and leave it in the down position, remove the plow and turn off the slickstick. never gave it any thought after that until i went to start my pickup the next morning: dead. after a few days of pondering, i recalled an old LZ plow on an F250 i used to have and how i left it in the down position (i never removed that plow) and i would find the pickup dead the next day and then it dawned on me. the A-coil would still be on despite having turned off the controller causing battery drain. duh...float....hasn't happened since....

just another thought.

12. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

I had a paper towel chewed up on my exhaust manifold. I know they like to keep warm but wont the manifold cook them? it would be funny to watch.

13. raymondpaquette

raymondpaquette Junior Member

2009 2500 runs it's battery down just sitting

14. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

There is an exact number of draw and an exact way to test. They taught us this in the Ford class I went to. A 1.6 draw is WAY to much it will kill the Batt.

15. Cosmic Charlie

My truck had a bad battery cell that would kill my battery when it sat ... but otherwise was nearly 100 % fine when driven every or every other day (for years)... weird that when I had my battery load tested when the problem started but it didn't show up then.

I used a battery tender for almost a year to avoid a dead battery ... finally the battery wouldn't take a charge ... so put in a new battery --- all good.

I should have listened to others here on this site ... 1st thing to do is Replace Battery - they were right.

Having a bad battery all that time may have lead to me needing an alternator replacement some time later by continuely overworking it ...

Good Luck

16. dieselss

That's wierd that it didnt show up on the tester.

17. Cosmic Charlie

I'm not sure why it didn't show up on the load test - I'm not an expert

Maybe the slightly bad cell just had a very low internal electric leak that killed the battery over time, but otherwise that bad cell and all other cells had plenty of juice when fully charged ...

18. raymondpaquette

Yes, but who knows what the exact number is? I have not been able to find out.

I put the ampmeter in series with the battery and see what it says. Is there a better way to test for current draw? As I said above, I realize now that I have to wait a while for all the computer modules to go to sleep.

Thanks

Ray

19. dieselss

putting the meter inline is the right way to do it. Drive the truck for at leat least 15 mins to cycle all the electrics. then you should wait approx. 30mins before you start the test, open doors and shut latches and pull hood light. then your magic number is <50ma anything more and you need to start pulling fuses.

20. raymondpaquette

Thanks.

This is just what I thought, but have never been able to get an exact number for the max amp drain for this vehicle.