1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2004 GMC Gauges going nuts

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by vortec7622, Oct 8, 2015.

1. vortec7622

vortec7622 Junior Member

So, I was driving my truck today, and I looked down and saw the "ENGINE COOLANT HOT" message on my DIC and the temp gauge pegged, when I had just checked it a few seconds before and it read normal. After a few seconds pegged, it dropped like a rock back to where I know the truck runs, right around 195 degrees. The fuel gauge does the same thing occasionally when it drops below 1/4 tank(which is a lot when you get 11 MPG), it will drop to empty then go back up to the proper level. Is it the stepper motors on the needles or a bad sensor or what?

2. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Sounds like something is wrong with the coolant temp sensor. The DIC doesn't read off what the gauge says on the cluster, that information is relayed to the ECM by the temp sensor. Sounds like the pegged temp gauge on the cluster is a secondary problem.

I'd say more than likely you have a bad stepper motor for your gas gauge. The only other thing it could be is the sending unit.

3. TMLGC

TMLGC Senior Member

I had a bad cluster that caused the coolant temp to max out, it did not set off any warning lights or messages.

I sent it out to. Circuit Board Medics to be fixed.

On a previous truck I had the fuel gauge do the same thing. Would read correct then randomly drop to empty causing the low fuel msg to appear. This was caused by a bad fuel sending unit. I just ran it like that for years before getting rid of truck. My mechanic said would have to drop the tank ect and advised if I could live with it just to replace it when and if fuel pump needed replacement.

4. MXZ1983

MXZ1983 Senior Member

Check into that year truck gauge clusters. Those were bad years for GM clusters and very commonly would a couple or few gauges go haywire.

5. snowymassbowtie

snowymassbowtie Member

gauge cluster

2004 GM truck gauge cluster had numerous problems. I would check with a dealer and see if they will fix it. It might be worth making that call.

6. tgmc2500

tgmc2500 Junior Member

I had the same problems on my 2005. The gauge cluster is bad. I had the dealer fix it for about $350.

7. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

Agreed I've had a few go bad. Exchange unit's under 150 . There are only 4 screws thst hold it in. After temoveing the bezel.

8. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Yep, bad cluster. Had mine rebuilt just after I bought the truck. Speedo was not working correctly and oil pressure was erratic. It only cost me $110 plus shipping one way to www.gmgaugerepair.com From your location, it will be a little more if I remember correctly. VERY SIMPLE TO REMOVE and you can still drive without it, just use a GPS for speed

9. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I just noticed that they now offer to install a trans temp gauge on most GM trucks that don't come with it OE. Includes everything needed to add it to your cluster and program it for an additional $80! That's money well spent IMO. Im pretty sure they didn't offer that when I sent mine in a few years ago. Looks like I will be sending it back to have the back lighting fixed (he had a bunch of defective bulbs when I had mine done, and I had just been putting off sending it back in). Other than the defective bulbs, Ive been real happy with mine!

10. vortec7622

vortec7622 Junior Member

I know my cluster needs to be rebuilt but I'm pretty sure the coolant temp sensors gone too. I was driving it, it pegged itself, said engine coolant hot then engine overheated then put it in limp mode but I'm positive it's not overheating

11. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like you need a new cluster. Mine went nuts a few years ago and they 2nd to put a whole new cluster in.

12. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

There's a bunch of these repair/rebuild services on ebay for around $60