1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2004 GMC 2500 HD's Overheating with plow on

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dhadaway, Mar 14, 2005.

1. dhadaway

dhadaway Junior Member

We have two new HD's that when going down the highway the engine temp keep going up and oveheating the engine. We never had this problem on our 2001's. Is this happening to anyone else. We have lowered the plows when going down the highway to where they are almost hitting the pavement in order to not block the air intake, but they are still overheating.

2. Q-Team Inc

Q-Team Inc Member

If they are blizzard plows you can buy air directors that would help.

3. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

overheating

On my trucks i run lower thermos in the winter just for that reason and they have a small hole in them for a bypass.This might not work on newer trucks because of the computer checks and fuel mixture changing as the engine is running cooler than spec. Also they make air flow adapters for the front of the plow to force air to the radiator. Dont foget to check the trans fluid to see if it has burned up...

4. new2it

new2it Member

not uncommon

Check out the chevy discussion area. This is very common. My 04 2500HD had the same problem. Needs a new fan clutch. Bring it to the dealer and have them install the correct one.

5. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Yep new i do remember that from other post was it the factory tow package that did not put the right clutch on ?

6. new2it

new2it Member

Mine had the tow package, not the plow prep. Dealer replaced w/o question. Overheated 3 times during transport, and I don't transport it that often. Since the replacement, needle never moves over 210 no mater how far or how high the plow is. Very happy with the result.

7. dhadaway

dhadaway Junior Member

parts are ordered

I spoke with dealer and they ordered the clutches for our trucks. Thanks for the help. :waving: :)