1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2004 F350 drw 4x4 For Sale - feeler

Discussion in 'Used Plowing and Truck Equipment Forum' started by mcfly89, Sep 22, 2011.

1. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

[​IMG]
    I bought a truck from a friend of mine that had a transmission line come loose and spray vaporized tranny fluid onto hot exhaust parts and started a fire. Long story short, what I have is a 2004 f350 dually cab/chassis auto 4x4 35000 miles with Western plow mounts and wired for a vbox spreader. It melted the paint off of one fender and the hood. I have a new cowl induction hood for it and havent decided on whether to repaint or replace the fender. I bought another 2004 f250 with 200,000 miles and sold the body off of it. So I have all the parts this truck needs and then some to finish it and get it on the road. I also have a RCD egr delete new in the box that I'll let go with the trucks too. The second truck has a 6.0, auto tranny, dash, wiring, all cooling parts, all underhood parts, new seat, fuel tank, etc. These have been sitting in my garage for a year while I build up enough funds and courage to tackle the project...but working by myself, I don't see it ever getting started. The book value on the truck is over $20,000. With a weekend of buddies helping, this truck could be ready to drive around the block. Will sell for a fraction of what a used truck like this goes for.

If any of you adventurous fellas out there might wanna get a heckuva deal on a late model diesel dually with a flatbed, hit me up. I'm in Missouri and I don't mind delivering, but I'd think someone would want to look at it and see exactly what is there before plopping down the cash. It has a CLEAN TITLE, no salvage junk here.

5seven3-five28-5995

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  2. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

The fire wasn't enough to damage the glass or the paint on any other panels...just the hood and one fender. It melted some of the plastic under the hood but didnt burn much of the paper air filter.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

I would like to see how this end up after someone is done with it, great potential but the deal depends on how much you wanna get for it ?

4. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

doesn't it always? lol. This is where the feeler part comes in. I'm not so deep into this project that I can't save somebody a considerable amount of money. I'm shooting for around half of book value.

5. Mdwstsnow512

Mdwstsnow512 Senior Member

whats the story with the other truck,

if i got it right,
    you get a 200,000 mile drivetrain and body on a 35000 mile frame?

is this correct?

thanks

6. Mdwstsnow512

actually, the way i read it you dont have interior/dash parts to replace?

what about wiring/computer and such?

thanks

7. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

I DO have a new dash, wiring, computer, etc from the other 2004 f250...the only part missing in this whole package is the vinyl floor mat. My plan was to take the superficial parts off of the 200,000 mile motor (or use it) and bolt them onto the 35,000 mile motor. It's just time consuming to do by yourself...and thats the situation I'm in at the moment...I have less time than money right now, lol.

The truck (f350) with the body on it had approx. 35,000 miles on it. the rolling chassis (f250) with no body on it has 200,000 miles on it.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  8. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Was the truck considered a total loss by insurance? My concern would be having an R title since that just kills the value. Also what isn't seen, you never really know until you start tearing into a project like this. Will be a ton of work. Would love a project like this but you are too far away.

9. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

As I said, it has a clean title. it will not have a Rebuilt, Salvage, Prior Salvage, or any other title...no matter what you do to it.

10. fishgeek

fishgeek Member
    from chicago

what options on on the truck?

11. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

tilt/cruise no power windows or locks

12. Mdwstsnow512

1000 cash for both trucks

13. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

smokin deal here for somebody.

14. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

really? surely you're kidding...tell me ur just trying to get a rise outta me...

15. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

I must have mistakenly stated that this was a 1973 ford with a 302 and a 77 parts truck, lol

16. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

In case anyone is wondering, it also comes with the upgraded XLT headlights, park lights, chrome grille, etc. its really a complete package other than the vinyl floormat.

17. Remstar

Remstar Member

I just did a quick market search to see if i could value your truck there, and this is what you can buy in my area:
    (local trader)

2004 f350 w/73,500 Km for $18,000
    2005 f350 w/200,000km Fully Loaded All options $18,000
    2007 f350 Harley Davidson edition 282,000 km $19,000
    2004 f350 well maintained 265,000km $13,900

These are all trucks that I would seriously consider and are *stated* to be in great shape and running.

Did you get a quote from the local mechanic to do the restore? Probibly EASILY 10,000 - 15,000. the paint shop will charge you 1k to repaint that fender alone....

Your price point may be a little high.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  18. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

I also did a market study on ebay, craigslist, and local listings and didnt find anything remotely close for under 18,700...and that truck has a salvage title. No body shop in their right mind would charge $1k to paint a fender. I have estimated the work at the dealership and several mechanics shops that I felt might be capable of the work and I felt comfortable with a cap of $5000 even with the dealership doing the majority of the work. But you don't buy a project like this and not get your hands dirty...the whole point is to save as much as you can and keep the bottom line as reasonable as possible. Considering the fact that the parts are already supplied...all you have to do is put it together...then add a little dealership labor for swapping parts over on the motor if you wanted to, your completed price on a 2004 f350 plow prep cab/chassis with all the heavy duty goodies we love, is coming in at around $10-11,000 PLUS you have a motor, transmission, rolling chassis, and a metric ton of other parts STILL TO SELL.

but my price point is negotiable, i like trades, and I love offers. :)

Again, this is somebody's chance to get a great deal on a solid low mileage truck IF they don't mind some elbow grease along the way. You will rarely find a deal good enough that you'll end up with a good deal after you've paid someone else to do all the work...although even then, this one should still leave you in the green...and You'll have a better truck than anything you could buy already complete.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  19. Mdwstsnow512

i wasnt trying to insult you.

gotta start somewhere,

there is ALOT of unknowns here, i would assume every electrical component would need to be replaced, that fender needs to be replaced not repainted,
    1k for repaint is reasonable with fender
    another 2-3k for misc parts
    assuming the trans is junk, maybe the one with 200 on it is good but then you have a trans with 200 on it.
    Tcase also iffy, as fluid in both is very flammable and not designed to be burned.
    all interior components likely need replaced, and you sold the body off the other truck

theres alot of work involved, and then you put it back together and have the what iffs, maybe it runs great. maybe you chase this problem for life.

i would assume a Carfax will still list the fire, which to any serious buyer will lower the value of the truck if you try and dump it.

is it worth more than 1000, yes. but lets say you have 5000 in parts(low) and you buy it for say 3000. thats 8000. then spend a month on it. thats 13-15000 maybe you can sell it for that and get paid for your time, maybe not.

price point is way to high. trucks components are worth 5k top dollar. if your lucky.

20. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

but every electrical component is included...most of the interior is smoke damage, not melted. But I have all of the parts from the donor truck to go into this truck

I agree that the fender needs to be replaced. I priced painting INCLUDING A NEW FENDER at under $600 for a ford part.

what misc parts? they-are-all-included, lol

trans may or may not be junk, but it wasnt burned and since it was driving at the time of the fire, I wouldnt assume the tranny was junk.

tcase was not burned or anywhere near the fire.

correct, i sold the body...which is the sheet metal surrounding all of these parts i needed. the interior is here and included with the truck with the exception of the vinyl floormat, as I have stated in several previous posts.

absolutely thats why its cheap. Fortunately with the Superduty series of Fords, everything has a plug in connector. its not NEARLY the nightmare it used to be on older rigs to completely replace a wiring harness.

A serious buyer wouldn't want a great deal on the truck? lol

I do appreciate your input and I like seeing how other peoples thought processes work on builds like this. I wouldn't take $5000 for what I have here, but its certainly getting near the right neighborhood.

You never get every dime out of a vehicle that you put into it, ya gotta figure out how much of that number can you amortize out over a period of years and THEN how much can you recover when you sell it...and its still simply a good deal....but its a good deal for someone who isnt scared of some work.