1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2004 F350 Diesel Crew Cab Warranty Dilemma

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Allagash, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Allagash

Allagash Senior Member

I've been told by my dealer that putting a plow on the above mentioned truck would void the warranty. Something about the crew cab and it being a diesel not likeing a plow and front end issues. If it was a standard cab or X-tra cab it would not void the warranty, however, the combination of the diesel and crew is a no no (supposedly).

My question is: Does anyone here plow with this set up? If so, do you think it's caused any undue wear and tear on your frontend or the truck overall? Also, have you had any issues with your dealership not covering you for any warranty work? I've got 100,000 mile warranty on the engine and I wouldn't want them to try to mess with me and blame an engine problem on a plow...

2. ADLAWNCUTTERS

ADLAWNCUTTERS Senior Member

it will plow just fine i had an extended cab , a buddy has a 4 dr cab with a western vee of course we only do commercial lots, the 4 dr cab takes a lot 0f room to turn around. as for dealer, he can warranty the work if he wants, if he won't find a different dealer. you will have to beef up the front springs and put some wait in the back and it will plow like a tank.

3. sgthawkusmc

sgthawkusmc Member

go check out ford-trucks dot com. Lots of good warranty info there. Warranties are a sticky subject. They can't deny you warranty service just because you hung a plow off the front of your truck. They have to PROVE the plow caused the damage.

4. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

my truck is a extended cab diesel and it plows fine. but, the plow does technically void the warranty on any extended or crew cab diesel 04 truck. the 05's are different. it will depend on your dealer, if he says it will void your warranty than that means he wont fix it if it breaks.

5. sgthawkusmc

sgthawkusmc Member

Again, he needs to prove it was the fault of the plow that whatever broke, broke. He can't choose to void the warranty just because it has a plow frame.

6. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I know I'm comparing apples to oranges here, but.....

Earlier this year I was going to buy a GMC 2500 Crew-cab / Duramax combo.

My sales guy, top notch commercial truck guy, said I didn't want to buy it because GM wouldn't honor the warranty, since there's too much weight on the front end.

The sales MANAGER didn't like him saying that, so they both did some research, and the sales MAN ended up calling the regional rep for GM's warranty issues.

They ended up getting it in writing that GM WOULD cover the truck under the standard 3 yr / 36k warranty even if I put a plow on.

They agreed that if the truck doesn't stand up after only 36k miles, that doesn't say much for the truck.

Basically what I'm saying is, either go to a dealership that deals more with commercial customers, or try going over their heads, saying something like "I really would like this Ford, but I can go to Dodge and get a truck that'll be covered up to 70k miles if I put a plow on. You're going to lose a sale just because you won't cover it for only 36k miles??" If they're any good at being a dealer at all, they should cover it for you.

7. Allagash

Allagash Senior Member

I already own the truck so bluffing buying another brand is not in the question. I'm out of the bumper to bumper warranty as I've got 40K on it. I assume they'd have a hard time proving the plow caused any engine problems as the engine is covered by the 100K warranty. I tow a 12,000lb gooseneck so plowing shouldn't be that big of deal to the motor.

A friend of mine has my identical truck only with a 8' bed (I've got the 6 3/4') and he plows commercially with it. He says it's awesome and it pushes snow beautifully. He's got a fleet of new Fords for his landscape construction company and buys them all out of state at a dealership that specializes in commercial applications. When I asked him about my dilemma, he said that if they did not honor his warranty, they would loose a lot of business by him going to another dealership. I see his point. But I'm only one guy with a plow and don't own a fleet. Nor did I buy the truck from his dealership.

I think I'll put a Boss on it and if I run into a problem, I'm sure my buddy will go to bat for me at his dealership. Hopefully, I won't have any problems...

8. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

My bad... my 3 yo was on my lap chattering in my ear when I was previously reading your post, sorry about that.

I had a '99 SuperDuty, Dually, SuperCab 4x4 with the Powerstroke. I used a 9' Hiniker straight bladefor 2 years, and then I used a 9' Diamond straight blade in consecutive years.

I traded the truck in with 103k miles on it, and it was getting to the point where I was going to need to do some front end work on it.

Before that though, I did nothing to the front end at all.

I plow about 15 hours / snow event, about 15 events / year, all commercial, to give you an idea how much I was using it.

9. GSE

GSE Senior Member

Check the Fisher website and look at eMatch. They claim 'early availability' F350 Crew Diesel you CAN NOT mount a plow. The 'late availability' F350 Crew Cab Diesel CAN take a plow. Fisher won't qualify it if it will void the warrantee.... I think it depends on the manufacture date of your truck.

10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Keep in mind:
    Built Ford Tough
    I see crew cabs with plows and dumps with crew cabs.
    It will just shorten the life of the ball joints and front end parts a bit.
    The contractor I work for was told the same thing about extended cab trucks.
    They even told him diesels are bad to plow with!

11. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Here's mine, I bought the snow plow prep package, what ever that means ( besides extra heavy duty front end ) but if they ever say " warranty void cause of plow " I'm telling em' to kiss my A**, I paid for the package.

Do a search on this topic, it's been discussed a million times on this site.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2005
  12. Allagash

Allagash Senior Member

First off, great looking ride!

So I guess they changed it for 2005 and now they sell the crew cab diesel with a snow plow prep package? I guess they beefed up the front end somehow?

13. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Like has been stated, older models the warranty would be voided (supposedly) on all CC's and Super Cab's. If you happened to load them up with 6 adults and the plow you would be over the FAWR. So they didn't allow it. Apparently they increased the FAWR because you can now get a plow prep package with CC and PS. I don't know exactly when this started.

I plowed with my '00 Super Cab and 8'6" Fisher straight for 5 seasons. Ball joints made it to 77K. Tons of guys around me plowing with CC's. I am putting a Blizzard LoPro on my new CC. Not to worried about it. Just use the right amount of ballast.

14. Allagash

Allagash Senior Member

What do you use for ballast in your CC while plowing? How much was the front end work at 77K? I'm just curious....

15. Mark Oomkes

I personally use a back (pull) plow. Otherwise get some sand bags, salt bags, big chunk of steel or concrete. Whatever you can get, the owners manual for the plow will tell you how much is recommended. Our trucks without back blades have spreaders, so the salt is the ballast.

I don't remember exactly, but it was about $800 at the stealership. At the time I was thinking the stealer was the best to work on my trucks, but now if it ain't under warranty, it ain't going to the stealer. Actually even tranny work that is still covered will not be going to the stealer anymore, just engine work.

16. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

I hate to sound stupid, but I'm assuming the ballast is for traction, what if traction is not a problem ?? Do you still need something in the back ?? You can tell by my post I don't and have not used anything in the past.

17. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

ballast will help take some of the weight off the front end of your truck eyesell. it will also aid in traction. most of the plow manufacturers recommend a certain amount of ballast but i am not sure the exact amount for a boss. personally i run about 900 lbs in steel (bolted to the bed), and 200 or so in salt.
    with my truck loaded ready to plow my front weighs about 5400 lbs, and the rear 4000 lbs.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2005
  18. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

You really got me thinking now, I'm going to get the old manual out, thank you very much.

19. Mark Oomkes

The proper amount of ballast will keep you from being overloaded on the front axle. It is possible to be under your GVW but overweight on your front axle because of how far the plow hangs out mulitplies the weight, removing weight from the rear of the truck. Throw in the cab and engine and it doesn't take much. As already stated, this will help out with traction. It will also help with the wear and tear on front end components, brakes, etc.

20. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Thanks again for another great explanation :nod: