1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2004 F350 Diesel "chip" for plowing?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by CENLO, Feb 8, 2005.

1. CENLO

CENLO Member

I have a F350, 2004 6Ltr Diesel crew cab and I heard that the computer chip can really help for power and fuel economy! Has anyone used these chips, where to buy, and will they be ok for plowing????????
  2. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Stock power is more than enough to get the job done. I turn my chip down when plowing. Getting one that is easy to change levels on is very nice. I like having one thats switchable on the fly but it isnt really needed as long as you can fairly easily drop the power.

Talk to the guys at thedieselstop.com They are into the ford stuff and whats hot and whats not. I personally think very highly of Steve Cole's programming at TTS (ttspowersystems.com I think) and the edge has pretty good stuff too. Duno what if anything they have for the PS and how it compares?

If your going to chip your truck run a pyrometer. You have to know how hot your EGT's are when adding fuel. Also I would wait a bit to make sure your truck and trans arnt going to be a lemon. If Ford finds out you have a chip say bye bye warantee. Return it to stock and hid any evidence of a chip if you take it to the dealer for so much as an oil change. Aftermarket exhaust also isnt a bad idea, it will drop your EGT's a bit.

You wont ever get a milage increase enough to pay for a chip, especially since its hard to keep your foot outa it and having your foot in it with a chip will hurt your milage. Buy a chip if you want a bit more grunt for playing. Your truck will pull anything it has any buisness pulling at stock power levels.
  3. jeffwoehrle

jeffwoehrle Member

I agree, stock power is more than enough. Lots easier to bust something when you have the power juiced up with big loads.

No reason not to get a chip though, as the fun you can have otherwise must certainly be considered...
  4. CENLO

CENLO Member

Power is def. not the problem? I would only do it for fuel savings!
  5. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

at stock power levels i can light up my tires at will, the more power the less you have to push on the throttle to light up the tires, its easy to keep from lighting up the tires with the chip turned off or down. Most programers allow you to return to a stock tune or a lower HP tune. I would only buy something that you can return to stock easily.

More power is hard on everything. It also depends how you drive. Milage and life of the rest of the componets will greatly rest with the application of your right foot.

I would not do it for milage reasons.

If your into that sorta thing doing it for the "fun factor" is a great reason. I love dusting mustangs and it really makes em have a WTF moment. Mustangs and ricers just arnt a challenge anymore though. Be carefull power is adictive :nod:
  6. AintNoFun

AintNoFun Senior Member

they are great for plowing.... ask my friend hes on his 2nd transmission.. lol