1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2004 f250 diesel - YOUR IMPUT PLEASE - NEVER OWNED A DIESEL.

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by ernest, Jan 20, 2009.

1. ernest

ernest Member

Thinking about buying this truck for plowing.Excellent shape,under100k,selling for 13 -14K
    Are diesels more expensive for repairs.Do you plug them in in the winter.Any info appreciated.

2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

The only Ford diesel I would buy is the 7.3. Fords are much much harder to start than Dodges when it is cold.

3. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

I like all the Ford motors. Second that on the cold start in winter when nearing 100miles. Got to plug it in. Oil changes are $100, trans flush is $275, and so on. Yes and no on being more expensive depends on the repair.

4. cocco78

cocco78 Senior Member

Diesels are a little bit more expensive to own but its its not bad. Do alot of research on the 6.0L ford diesel before you buy. They have a bad reputation and that reflects alot in the selling price. Its a crap shoot on the early 6.0L's some are great with no problems and then others are boat anchors! I'd look for a nice 1999-2002 superduty with a 7.3L and be happy with it for the next 500,000 miles.

5. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

Run an Oasis on it to see if it's been back at the dealer a lot for repairs.

Benefit of the 6.0 is the additional hp it has over the 7.3 along with the 5R110 trans behind the 6.0 vs. the 4R100 behind the 7.3.
    As long as the 04 6.0 hasn't had a lot of problems I wouldn't hesitate to buy it any day over a 7.3. Haven't had any issues with our 04.

As for cold starting....run synthetic oil, starts much better in the HEUI system than the dino oil does.
    I don't plug in my 6.0 and haven't had any issues.

We have 7.3s and 6.0s all great trucks.

6. Jon Schuler

Jon Schuler Member

Im likely going to have an 03 crew cab short box with the 7.3!!! Going to be for sale in a few months. Wife was going to drive it but says it is too big. Got 150k on it but for a 7.3 thats nothing.

7. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Dont buy a 6.0 diesel, you will never want another diesel again after you deal with one of those pieces of junk. Be happy, buy a Cummins or Duramax.:rolleyes:

8. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

Had issues with a 6.0?

I've been very happy with our 04, 06 and 07 6.0s.......and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a diesel again :D

I like the duramax and cummins better for modifying them to get medium to big power (600rwhp+).....but I like the Fords for work trucks.
    All personal preference really.

9. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I had my fair shares of problems with my old 6.0 and because of that I will never own another Ford truck.

10. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

What issues? Stock or tuned? If it was tuned, what tuning was it?

One of my friends blew his 6.0 up......but he was 600-700+ rwhp on spray with close to 200,000 miles on it :D

11. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

he wont back it up. Just another Chevy guy running his mouth. I love me 6.0 80,000 miles plus on an 06' all highway, towing and plowing ... no bs on that motor. Ron has SEVERAL 6.0's as well as everyone else in the area. Man do I see alot of Chevy trucks on the road lately ..... ?????? or maybe its Ford's. huh weird

12. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

Some 6.0s did have issues......even stock.

I think a lot of the issues are due to tuning if they are modded. The amount of bolts used to secure the heads to the block doesn't help the situation either.
    Some oils don't work to well in the 6.0 HEUI system and make them horrible to start in the cold and idle like complete azz when first started.
    Very important to change fuel filters every 10,000-15,000 miles on them as well.
    So some issues are legit while others are caused either by neglect or by modifications and a heavy foot.
    Also doesn't help that not all dealerships have "good" diesel techs which can sometimes make diagnosis and repair a PITA.