1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2004 F250 6.0L Fan Overheat

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by maxslights, Jan 22, 2012.

1. maxslights

maxslights Member

So I am having an issue while driving around with my 8600HD on my 2004 F250 Powerstroke. While driving around with the plow all the way up, I hear the fan speed up immensely and it is louder than the engine. I experience this for a little while then it goes away. Today I had the plow on before some snow here in NE and its just about at freezing. I had it up for about an hour and I experienced this issue. I have heard that the new Plow Prep Package fan clutch may solve this issue as well as adding the Blizzard Airfoil that directs air into the radiator. Ant other info is appreciated.

Thanks!!

2. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

??? Did temp gauge show overheat?

That sound it normal they are supposed to be sound like airplane/jet. ROAR when fan engage

If you are very concern about overheat. You could do flushing cooling system and replaced with ELC red coolant and new theromstat.

Green or gold coolant aren't good for 6.0L they the #1 issue that ruin 6.0L reputation.

3. maxslights

maxslights Member

The gauge didn't show it was running Hot at all. I will have to get fluids this week and do a flush.

4. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

That's what they're supposed to do.

5. drp

drp Senior Member
    from ontario

the sound is normal it is the fan clutch engaging as it should.

6. maxslights

maxslights Member

Sounds good. I have a ScanGauge2 on order to monitor my temps because i'd like something more straight forward than the idiot lights.

7. maxslights

maxslights Member

Aslo, the sound of a Mack truck coming from my engine bay concerned me.

8. fordsuvparts

fordsuvparts Senior Member

Fan clutch is bad, get it replaced soon.

9. maxslights

maxslights Member

OK. So I need an answer as to if it is GOOD or if it is BAD. IF it is bad, I need to replace it. IF NOT, I need to leave it alone.

10. kcplowman

kcplowman Member

I highly doubt that the issue is your fan clutch. With the plow off the truck does it still come on more than it ussed to? Scan it and see what the engine oil temp is when fully warmed up after driving around and what the coolant temp is. If it is only with the plow fully up when driving that is normal on most vehicles try lowering the plow to only half way up and see if that helps.

11. maxslights

maxslights Member

The other day I hooked my friends Snap-On Solus Pro up to the truck and EOT was 171 while ECT was 172. The threshold is a 20 degree difference between the two until I should be concerned about an Oil Cooler failure or other issues. I have not experienced it with the plow off.

12. maxslights

maxslights Member

BTW. Those temps were at normal highway driving after the truck was running for about 1.5 hours also.

13. drp

drp Senior Member
    from ontario

you are running cold. normal is 192F temp spread is not accurate until you are at 'normal' operating temps. I would suggest a new thermostat and see what happens then.

14. maxslights

maxslights Member

Is the thermostat off the upper radiator hose on the engine?

15. kcplowman

kcplowman Member

yes it is.