1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2004 F250 6.0 Diesel is it good for a plow truck

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by daninline, Jan 22, 2009.

1. daninline

daninline Senior Member

Hey everone I'm looking at 2 trucks one is a 2004 F250 6L Diesel are they good or run away? The truck looks great but I don't know how many miles they are good for and how they are to plow with?

Thanks for any info

2. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

3. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

i love mine..plows liek a D8 cat

4. jdo150

jdo150 Member

we love our 6.0l in our 2004 F350. its a great plow truck

5. Can-Boy

Can-Boy Member

Mine is great.Noproblems with 121k.Still has original brakes.

6. redneck farmer

redneck farmer Senior Member

I Love mine the 6.0 has plenty of power, it plows like a tank. Just be ready to put new ball joints in it as the SD are known for eating ball joints.

7. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

Yep, I second what Redneck said. Especially with the heavier diesel engine, you'll be putting new BJs on there in no time, unless they've already been done. That'd be nice.

I don't own a 6.0, and honestly, I probably never will. But that's my choice. Too much bad press. But as you can see, there are alot of very happy owners out there who truly work that engine.

It seems like either you love 'em or hate 'em. But I can imagine that they're probably great to plow with.

8. massfirefighter

massfirefighter Senior Member
    from mass.

A+++ Highly recommended. My '04 F350 6.0 outplows the 3/4 ton dodge gasser I plow next to like crazy. I always get comments on how she pushes through the snow like it isn't even there.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

I love my 04f250 6.0

Pushes like a dream.,,

Tons of power.

10. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

I have a 2006 6.0 and a 2001 7.3. Both have plowed since they were new. I set of ball joints in the 2001. Thats not too crazy? Both plow great. there is nothing wrong with the 6.0 especially in there later years. In the 04' I know they had a few problems that needed updating.
    I added a 08' CTD to the fleet and it spanks the super duty's. :p

11. snow game

snow game Senior Member
    from RI

I just got a new 08 5.4 but my 06 w/ the 6.0 is still running strong w.over 113,000 milea and no major problems. Avg 14mpg city and hwy

12. daninline

daninline Senior Member

I got the truck tonight thanks guys.. I'll post some photo's Sat it drove great on the way home and it didn't have any ball joint sounds so they might be good the place that had it kept it up to date.
    I only paid 10,000 I think it's a good price for the truck.
    Now I have to sell the old one and get a plow ASAP for this one.

13. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Junior Member

good truck but beware of the egr system

14. daninline

daninline Senior Member

Here's some photo's of the new truck we got. drove it around for a bit today boy it rides nice.

IMG_0613.jpg

IMG_0614.jpg

15. TurfToppers

TurfToppers Junior Member

Good looking truck love my 06 F250 6.0 six speed not a single problem yet has 89000 miles

16. jayman3

jayman3 Senior Member

I had a 03 6.0L and loved it but 173k on it then traded it in,now have a 05 and love the truck,pushes better than my old gas job.wesport

17. 04f250fisher

04f250fisher Senior Member

Looks just like mine. I had a cap on mine but made the dealer take it off and put a bed liner in. I love plowing with my truck.

18. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

You will be happy with the 6.0L, I have 137k on mine, and it wasn't driving to church on sundays or going to get groceries. It pulls 20k trailers on a daily basis and pushes snow 4 months out of the year. I almost feel sorry for the guy that buys it after I'm done lol

19. daninline

daninline Senior Member

I got lucky mine looks like it was driven by a sales man it's whole life :) never a plow on it.

It's good to hear there are people who use the truck and like them, all I ever here and the whining, but I guess that's what the internet's for LOL
    I think I'm going to get a Curtis 8 foot plow, I told them I want a trip edge I don't like the whole plow flopping over.
    Did you know Curtis stopped making V plows :dizzy:

Dan

20. Ford445

Ford445 Senior Member
    from Vermont

Buy a Boss, they still make v plows. wesport