1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2004 F-550 4x4 ?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by MFD18, Dec 13, 2006.

1. MFD18

MFD18 Junior Member
    from Boston

i have just bought a F-550 dump truck...i just realized that the 4X4 is manual (i think)?...i have not used the 4X4 yet...this was one thing i overlooked during my purchase...not a big deal, but i need some advice on how to drive the dump

right now they are in the FREE position...

when i want to use 4WD, in the snow or something do I move the hubs over to LOCK?

anything else i need to know?

2. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

Yep, put them in lock then engage the 4x4.
  3. BobC

BobC Senior Member

Put them in lock before you need 4wd. After driving a little they should have engaged and you can select 4wd.
  4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The instructions may be on the sun visors too. On the side toward you when you flip them down.
  5. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

Are you kidding with this or what?
  6. doh

doh Senior Member

Actually you can lock the hubs for most of the winter, with little effect on fuel mileage and tire wear. Then anytime you need 4x4, just pull the stick.
  7. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

If you don't know how to operate the 4 wheel drive of your truck, then read your truck's manual. depending in what you are doing, sometimes you may want to engage 4x4 low and not lock your hubs in. I do this alot when backing up heavy trailers. saves your clutch (if you have one) and your tranny.