1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2004 F-350 6.0 Diesel

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by S-10 Plower, Dec 1, 2003.

1. S-10 Plower

S-10 Plower Senior Member

Hi,
    I am thinking about buying a 2004 ford f-350 6.0 diesel standard cab with a 8' western plow and a swing out tailgate salt spreader.
    If there is anyone out there that has a truck like this i would like to hear the good and bad news about it before i drop $35,500 on one.
    Thanks, Mark:confused:

2. sodzilla

sodzilla Junior Member

I have a '03 F350 regular cab w/6.0 & auto. trans. I use the truck to haul cattle here in WI. this is my full time job. I got the truck in Dec. '02 and put it on the road Jan. 1 '03. I just turned 106,000 miles on it,( yes thats right in 11 months) I drive too much. The only problems I've had were with a couple sensors and had the computer updated twice. I didn't have as many problems as I thought I would with it being one of the first ones built. I would say it would be a good truck because anything built after May should have all the new updates thanks to people,(guinea pigs)like me that get the first ones .

3. S-10 Plower

S-10 Plower Senior Member

Sodzilla thanks alot, i drive alot too. in 12 mo i put 85,000+ miles on my s-10 going to work, girl friends house, here there every where you know well needless to say just put a new tranny in it and hoping motor will last till i can trade it on my new ford.

Mark

4. ADLAWNCUTTERS

ADLAWNCUTTERS Senior Member

Buy it i have 3 old style 7.3 diesel and love them.They pretty much worked out the bugs on them.Go to diesel stop .com and do a search and that will help you out.The dodge and chevy trucks sit to low to the ground for me.

5. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

My 99 is the first diesel that I have ever owned. And from now on the only thing that I am going to buy are diesel's, both for personal and business use. I don't know too much about the 6.0L's other than when they first came out a few of them were having problems. But now that most of the bugs are worked out I wouldn't think twice about buying one. Also from what I have heard from a local cattle hauler, the 6.0 has tons of power. He had 99 F-350 4X4 7.3L that was chipped, had exhaust, intake, a different turbo and different injectors, he put 440,000 miles on it before he blew the turbo and metal shavings got into everything, so the motor use then junk. He said that with just the chip that he has in his 04 F-550 4X4 6.0L it has more power than his old 7.3L did with all the goodies on it. But he has yet to catch me:D

Good luck with buying your truck!!

6. J.P. Riker

J.P. Riker Junior Member

6.0 Diesel Snow Pusher

You'll be driving my truck. 2004 F-350 extended cab 4x4 6.0 dually.

The 6.0 has more agressive behavior than my 7.3, and will run very nicely pushing a 9 foot western.

Performed well, and I got 10 mpg plowing! Imagine that.

My only disappointment has been driving 70 mph with the blade up makes the truck overheat real fast.

Transporting the blade is not an issue, provided that you are not going more than 20 miles. Inbetween plowing jobs, it handles nice with no modifications.

The new tow/haul feature is wonderful, it controls the shifts, and the engine braking.

I'm into mine for about 40,000 bucks, and its making me money just fine.

Though I do want to have the trans fluid changed after every storm, just to make sure.

7. JThompson

JThompson Member
    from NYC

A friend of mine was just speaking with a Ford truck mechanic. He strongly suggested avoiding the 6.0 at this point. Also said it is IMPOSSIBLE to work on them. It is so tight in there you even need to go to the dealer to change a belt. Food for thought. Good luck.

8. J.P. Riker

J.P. Riker Junior Member

Too tight

I agree, but I usually wind up having the dealer maintain most of my fleet of fords, I've been lucky with them doing the work.

I agree, there's more room in my 2002 7.3, than in my 2004 6.0

I did the belt on my 7.3 and what a project.

The fiberglass blade on the fan is as sharp as a knife.

I only visit under the hood when I have too. Great engine, lots of power, and balls like a gorilla!

9. HDROCK

HDROCK Junior Member

We have a few of these for work trucks. One is a 1996 F350 7.3,5 speed,4X4,XL. Truck has been a pretty good one it has about 150,000 miles but it has had some injector problems but they were taken care of under warranty.

The other is 2002 F550,7.3. 6 speed,4X4,XL, this truck had been back to the dealer several times. The transmission has had problems with flying out of gear and the clutch not engaging properly at 32,000 miles. Also had a front wheel bearing which like locked and it had to be towed in. All in All I guess these trucks have been alright the only thing that we found weird was that the F550 came with like plastic lock in lock out hubs, while the 1996 has steel lock in lock out hubs. Upon delivery of the 2002 we found that these plastic hubs were already cracked and had to be replaced.

10. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

My cousin works at a ford dealership as a mechanic , he tells me that to do a lot of work on these new ford trucks they actually take the cab and front clip off , raise them up on the lift , do the repair and set it back on. I still remember when changing a motor was a Saturday job and a 12 pack of bud.

11. JThompson

JThompson Member
    from NYC

And that means WAY more $$$$$$$$$$ to fix them! Get that extended warranty with this one, guys!!!!

12. rhetor

rhetor Junior Member

You guys need to ditch them v8 diesels and throw in a 300-6!

One reason i don't wanna swap in an eight! :D

It takes me about 10 min to change all the plugs and wires on my straight six. compare that to the 5 1/2 HOURS it took me to swap plugs n wires on my bud's 93 firebird v8.

My dream is still to pop a mildly built 460 into my F-150. But there goes any of the working space.

Our 2002 7.3L PSD has been great except for one flaw... whoever assembled the valve train didn't torque down the rocker arms, and they wiggled loose. Drover her home like a dog, dealer fixed it up.

You guys are right about the engines though. If you look under the hood of the newer model F-150 trucks, it takes a minute or two to actually find the motor! In my 95, its the big chunk of cast iron with oil splattered all over it!

13. cpmayhewinc

cpmayhewinc Junior Member

I just bought a 04 f450 4x4 6.0 diesal auto w/ 12 ft dump and I can only say for the first 1000 miles it was the best running truck ever. It responds like a gas engine, the tranny works like a jake brake in the tow mode and the 8.5 meyer plow didn't phase it.

I loved that truck until Monday morning.......

employee rolled it in a curve.:(

14. Tom Smith

Tom Smith Senior Member
    from IL

Do you have a pic? I want to see the new 04 diesel w/ dump

15. Tom Smith

Tom Smith Senior Member
    from IL

O sorry.... didnt see the employee rolled it part.... sorry ..... that really sucks !!

16. cpmayhewinc

cpmayhewinc Junior Member

Tom, I do have pics before and after, they are on the other computer so I will try and post as soon as possible.

17. WHITE=GREEN

WHITE=GREEN Senior Member

i just bougth an 03' f-350 crew cab short bed with the 6.0 L this fall. i hung a blizzard 810 on the front and put a buyers 8' v box in the bed. the thing is a snow plowing machine. alot of weight to push snow with. so far weve had 2 storms, one about 8" and one about 3". plowed both storms mostly in 2wd with pirelli scorpian all season tires (didnt get dedicated snow tires yet) on her. see my pics below. plenty of power and i got 17 mpg running south to myrtle beach averaging 80mph.

18. Brickman

Brickman Senior Member

I find that hard to believe that the stock 6.0L will out run a stroked 7.3L Maybe on take off, but not in towing. I have a 2000 chipped PSD and I know it will out tow a 6.0L, but the new one will way out run me taking off. It spools up a lot faster.

Good luck with your new truck!

19. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

Here is part of what I post before. " He said that with just the chip that he has in his 04 F-550 4X4 6.0L it has more power than his old 7.3L did with all the goodies on it." That when it was running only a 130 hp chip, I just talked with him this week and now he has twin 5" pipes coming up thought the flat bed and also running a new intake system. He let me take it for a little spin, that thing moves!!!! Especially considering that it tips the scales at all most 10,000 lbs.

20. Brickman

Brickman Senior Member

OK, I got ya. sorry bout that, my bad. :realmad: