1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2004 dodge setup questions

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by overheadmw1, Jun 5, 2008.

1. overheadmw1

overheadmw1 Junior Member

my older 83 dodge 1 ton sno commander just got wore out so i just bought a 2004 dodge 2500hd with hemi 5sp auto regular cab with 4.10 gears and anti spin axle 22,000 miles. i put an auxillary fan trans cooler even with the factory coolers, and put amsoil throughout the truck. I live on top of a mountain goes up 800 ft. in 1 mile with a switchback, with another mile along the ridge. I looked at a hiniker 7 1/2 ft steel plow and and cant decide, don't want a meyers. I use chains on all fours most of the time, and was thinking about putting on those timbren things on the front axle for support the 3000lb. ones. In your guys opinion what shout i do to improve the front suspension, don't want air bags though, and what setup, i don't really want to put an 8ft plow on the front and give the truck too much to push, we get from 60 to 150 inches of snow a year, i would appreciate your thoughts and ideas
  2. BlueRam2500

BlueRam2500 Senior Member

Welcome to plowsite!!! I plowed for two years with my 04.5 2500 diesel, had an 8" Western Ultramount on the truck. Front suspension was all stock except for a 2' leveling kit (Daystars), new Rancho shocks, and 35x12.50 BFG M/T's. The truck barely squatted down with the plow fully raised. The Western was a piece of cake to take on and off even with the truck not at stock height. Hope this information helps you.

AL THE MAN Member
    from Chicago

Hey blue ram, do you plan on using the Hemi you are looking at buying to plow....or just as a daily driver
  4. BlueRam2500

BlueRam2500 Senior Member

Just as a DD and hauler of a couple quads and some lawnmowers.
  5. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

This is an older thread, but welcome to Plowsite and if it helps, I have an 06 2500 CTD mega cab with a Boss 9'2" poly plow with only a Hell Bent Steel leveling kit and about 1000lbs of ballast and it holds it just fine. Yours with a hemi and whatever plow you want will be fine. I would just recommend ballast in your case simply for the traction and to go a little easier on the ball joints. :waving:
  6. weeman97

weeman97 Senior Member

i just bought the pretty much identical truck. i plan on puttin a boss 8.2 V-plow on it with timbrens in the front or a levelin kit
  7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I've been pushing a 9'1" Snoway Vee with an idenical (2005) truck. It's worked great with out any extra coolling or front susp. assists.